2020 Comp Pick A (30): Jordan Westburg - SS - (JR) (Mississippi State)

They figured Cadyn Grenier will never hit, so they thought they'd try college SS again....  

I wanted high upside pitcher myself.... Kelley or Montgomery, or Fulton, or even taking a shot at JT Ginn...

3 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

They figured Cadyn Grenier will never hit, so they thought they'd try college SS again....  

I wanted high upside pitcher myself.... Kelley or Montgomery, or Fulton, or even taking a shot at JT Ginn...

They might move him to 2B, I hear they need a 2B.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Not a fan of the swing.  He's quick to the ball, but he seems to chicken wing himself a bit and I don't see a ton of extension on account of his lower half not getting through entirely.  Maybe they can work with the quick hands and build a swing out of him.

Just now, ScGO's said:

Not a fan of the swing.  He's quick to the ball, but he seems to chicken wing himself a bit and I don't see a ton of extension on account of his lower half not getting through entirely.  Maybe they can work with the quick hands and build a swing out of him.

I'm not a fan of rebuilding swings of college kids.  It seems like, as a best case scenario, you lose a year.

Here's hoping he's better than Cadyn Grenier!!!!    

I think I might be better than Cadyn Grenier....

So much for the picking Kjerstad so we could use some underslot savings on a high upside High Schooler theory....     

I hope these guys make me eat crow in a few years, but if you told me we'd have Kjerstad and Westburg for our top 2 picks, I'd have thrown my computer at you....

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not a fan of rebuilding swings of college kids.  It seems like, as a best case scenario, you lose a year.

Yeah, you think that would be a good project for a toolsy HS guy, but not a 21 year old.  Maybe its a Hunter Pence type guy, ugly swing that gets results?  I'm trying to talk myself into liking this pick.  I apologize.

Just now, DocJJ said:

I hope these guys make me eat crow in a few years, but if you told me we'd have Kjerstad and Westburg for our top 2 picks, I'd have thrown my computer at you....

Agree with both sentiments.  I’m not hopeful though.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Something tells me teams weren't lining up to draft Westburg.

He was ranked 29th so he was right around where people expected.  The Rays would have been team as they took a college SS with similar types.

• Upvote 1