2020 Comp Pick A (30): Jordan Westburg - SS - (JR) (Mississippi State)

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree with the poster that said a few days ago that Tork would have gone third last year.  I don't think he's a strong #1.  I think, Boras or not, he could end up leaving more money on the table than AR did. 

I honestly don't know if say 500K in saving in the first and going with a senior sign in one of the remaining rounds would be enough money for Kelley.

Detroit also has a dearth of position players in their system.

From 2019 Summer preview roster discussion: https://www.prospectslive.com/mlb-draft/2019/6/12/2019-cape-baseball-league-hyannis-harbor-hawks-2019-preview

Summary: A strong group of producers led by Mississippi State duo Jordan Westburg and Tanner Allen, as well as Baylor shortstop Nick Loftin. Under the radar Samford standout Brooks Carlson, is coming off a strong two seasons for the Bulldogs. While Auburn’s Edouard Julien and Florida Atlantic’s Jared DeSantolo look to regain their freshman form after down years.

Standout: Jordan Westburg, Mississippi State - A high energy player that goes all out on both sides of the ball. Aggression is the term that best describes Westburg’s game. He made significant gains in his approach year over year, striking out less, while nearly doubling his walk rate. There were power gains as well as Westburg left the yard six times this spring.

Then during the season: barnstablepatriot.com/news/20190715/hyannis-jordan-westburg-named-ccbl-player-of-week

The Hyannis shortstop was delayed in arriving at the Cape because he was playing in the College World Series for Mississippi State before being eliminated in late June by Louisville.

However, after arriving on the Cape on Independence Day, he exploded on the scene with a pair of home runs in his first game, then the following day went 5-for-6 in a doubleheader win over Bourne.

As a result of his offensive barrage, where he had a batting average of .625 (10-for-16) for the week, he was named Cape Cod Baseball League Player of the Week.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...