...so what does this mean for our prospects?

Moose Milligan

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

So have we basically lost a year of service time for all of our prospects?   What about things like minor league options?   My main question I guess is are they all a year closer to FA now but with no playing time to show for it?

Minor league free agency?

Sure...

16 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think I'm alone here when I say that I think whatever happens this "season" is of very little interest.  Yes, I'll watch the games.  No, I won't care what our W/L record is.

I think headed into this season, all I really cared about was how our prospects developed.  Specifically, one Adley Rutschman.  And guys like Diaz, Gray Rod, Hall, Mountcastle, Hays, Kremer, Lowther, Gunnar Henderson.

So...how are these guys going to get any time to play this season?  I say this as I freely admit that I haven't been paying too close attention to anything other than the fact that there's a 60 game season with some funky new rules.  Apologies if this has already been discussed.

There's a lot of pink elephant in the room questions that go into this.  These kids basically are not represented by any union and are probably going to be ignored.  I'd really like to see them given a chance to play - but there's got to be regular testing - especially with Florida being a hot spot. 

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree, there would be no danger in opening up camps in Florida and Arizona for the minor leaguers and they could play well into Fall and get in close to 90 games.

I disagree there would be "no danger". There's danger, that's just a fact. The virus has been proven to be gravitating towards folks in their 20s and 30s now and yeah, the death rate is very low for that demographic. But we're still in year 1 of this thing and we're still learning about the virus. There's just no easy way to implement a ST with games in two of the areas where the virus is most prevalent on the entire planet. The optics alone would be a horrendous thing for MLB to deal with; they have enough on their plate.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

In the old days player development was not nearly so regimented.  Bonus babies and teenagers would pretty routinely spend a year or two or three on the MLB bench hardly playing.  Some of them went on to long, productive careers.  You'd probably have a hard time showing that less of them developed than players under a more traditional progression.  Since all MLB is in the same boat I'm not going to worry about this too much.

In the old days, there wasn't free agency either and the six/seven years service time clock so you could afford to develop a player on the bench, picking and choosing spots to play. Now, that would just leave you with half of their service time left before they go to free agency. For some of our prospects, that may be a viable option, but the younger ones would just be getting into their prime and be gone.

I agree having every team in the same boat minimizes the concern for the Orioles specifically, but the O's--along with the other rebuilding teams--are in a position where minors development is a bit more of a focus compared to the contending teams.

I would like the idea of having all the minor league players who are willing (not make in mandatory as some may be high-risk or live with high-risk folks), report to one of the local minor league camps (not being used for the taxi squad) and have them play each other.

For the taxi squad, I'd have some guys like Diaz, Mountcastle, Kremer, Akin and others who were deemed likely to play this year and play it by ear on whether they are actually added to the roster at any point.

29 minutes ago, interloper said:

I mean, I could just say the opposite for you, right? I know we both think we're right here, so I guess there's no point. I'll just say, I work at Hopkins and I get a daily, comprehensive look at the science and the data re: COVID. And there are plenty of conservative scientists there, by the way. Science knows no politics. So many people have died in this country because we were slow to act and because misinformation/science denial was disseminated to the public from extremely influential people, many of them in the media. 

Like you say, we'll just have to disagree. I mean no disrespect, truly, and I'll move along and refrain from further posts that could be construed as political. (I'm not sure how the pandemic got to be so political, but I can't say I'm surprised either.)

Where we do agree is that corporate liability is playing a huge role in MLB. That, and we agree on the ambivalence. :)

There you go, common ground! :D

Enjoy your day.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jamalshw said:

In the old days, there wasn't free agency either and the six/seven years service time clock so you could afford to develop a player on the bench, picking and choosing spots to play. Now, that would just leave you with half of their service time left before they go to free agency. For some of our prospects, that may be a viable option, but the younger ones would just be getting into their prime and be gone.

I agree having every team in the same boat minimizes the concern for the Orioles specifically, but the O's--along with the other rebuilding teams--are in a position where minors development is a bit more of a focus compared to the contending teams.

I would like the idea of having all the minor league players who are willing (not make in mandatory as some may be high-risk or live with high-risk folks), report to one of the local minor league camps (not being used for the taxi squad) and have them play each other.

For the taxi squad, I'd have some guys like Diaz, Mountcastle, Kremer, Akin and others who were deemed likely to play this year and play it by ear on whether they are actually added to the roster at any point.

What I was getting at but probably didn't explain adequately was that a lot of prospects from previous eras missed out on what we'd today consider prime development time, just sitting on the bench in the majors.  And many of them turned out very well.  So I'm not too torn up about Rutschman or other prospects not getting 500 PAs this year.

I was among the fans who was really looking forward to this season.  Many people looked at this season as a season where the Orioles were tanking again.

I didn’t view it that way.  I think they tanked in 2019 (which I was ok with) and while they didn’t do a lot to make this team a lot more competitive in 2020, this was a year where we were going to start to see a lot of the young talent come up.

Most of the potential future pieces weren’t ready to be up in 2019 and thus we saw a lot of AAAA cannon fodder.  I don’t think that was going to be the case this year.  I think we were going to have a lot of excitement in the pitching staff and amongst them position players.  They probably wouldn’t have won more than 65 games and likely would still have picked in the top 5 but i also think the team would have gotten better as the year went on and that you would have been looking at a lot of promise going into 2021.

But this has ruined all of that.  We don’t get those guys up here for any kind of a significant sample size.  We don’t get to see Rutschman, Hall and Rodriguez continue to take that step forward.  It’s just really unfortunate for the near future of the team that this happened and it could easily set them back a year or more in their rebuild.

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2020 at 4:25 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think I'm alone here when I say that I think whatever happens this "season" is of very little interest.  Yes, I'll watch the games.  No, I won't care what our W/L record is.

I think headed into this season, all I really cared about was how our prospects developed.  Specifically, one Adley Rutschman.  And guys like Diaz, Gray Rod, Hall, Mountcastle, Hays, Kremer, Lowther, Gunnar Henderson.

So...how are these guys going to get any time to play this season?  I say this as I freely admit that I haven't been paying too close attention to anything other than the fact that there's a 60 game season with some funky new rules.  Apologies if this has already been discussed.

I think there is going to be some minor league baseball 

Southern Maryland Blue Crabs will allow fans to attend games in planned Atlantic League baseball season

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-wp-southern-maryland-blue-crabs-baseball-20200621-sn73g5arlrgdzlcj2btcf7mdei-story.html

The Atlantic League’s Southern Maryland Blue Crabs, High Point Rockers and Long Island Ducks are working with other professional teams to finalize a 70-game schedule that would start in mid-July and conclude with a five-game championship series in late September, the league announced Friday.

• Confused 1

The 40 man is at 39 or really 38 minus Trey.So to get to the opening 30 who gets voted off the island? IMO for Pitchers: Hess, Lakins, Phillips, Tate, Velazquez go to Taxi. One of Blier/Fry and one of Akin/Kremer go to Taxi to add Milone and LeBlanc to the 30. All 3 catchers stay. Inf: Urias, Velazquez go to Taxi and come off the 40 for Milone and LeBlanc. For OF: Smith Jr., McKenna go to Taxi but add Diaz to the 40. Pitchers (15), Catchers (3) Infielders (7) OF (5). Eleven go to Taxi and 3 (Milone, LeBlanc, Diaz) get 40 man slots. I assume going to Taxi is not a DFA type action (McKenna) as long as they stay on the 40 man. I'm willing to lose the 2 infielders and Smith Jr. That would leave you room for 19"prospects" to be on the Taxi to get work. AR, GrayRod, DLHall, Gunnar, Lowther, Baumann, Adam Hall, Stowers, Wells, Rom, Bannon, Sedlock, Hanifee, Bradish, Watson, McKoy, Knight, Zimmermann, Fentor is 19 total. I would add Heston and Servideo in trade for two of these but that's just curiosity. That's most of the current 40 and the top 30 prospects. Should be some interesting stories to follow.