Earl & Eddie

Just Regular

12 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Some breathtaking stills of 1977 fashion in this:

Suspect these days it matters not if Hyde were to go to bat for Mountcastle the same way.

Such good memories. Earl somehow always getting the team into contention, Eddie able to deliver in the clutch against any pitcher. Must have been a fundamental rhythm of my life back then.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

Such good memories. Earl somehow always getting the team into contention, Eddie able to deliver in the clutch against any pitcher. Must have been a fundamental rhythm of my life back then.

Every once in a while you would be watching on TV and in a split second you would notice that the pitcher had made a mistake pitch and tossed a fat one right in the heart of the plate and you would watch Eddie's swing uncoil and launch it.  He jumped on those mistakes, it was just an electrifying moment.

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2020 at 8:44 PM, OrioleDog said:

Some breathtaking stills of 1977 fashion in this:

Suspect these days it matters not if Hyde were to go to bat for Mountcastle the same way.

Thanks for posting. Just watched it again on MLB.tv. Those teams from 1977 to 1983 (omitting the 1981 strike year)  were probably my all-time favorites. And what was great about the '77 team was that it was such a surprise for the Orioles to win 97 games and take the NYYs down to the wire. And maybe it has something to do with 1977 being my last year of school with the time and flexibility to listen to games.

Apart from Eddie bursting on the scene to win the AL ROY, Flanagan (whom I'd followed since college but was almost ready to give up on) and El Presidente  came out of nowhere to back up Palmer, who just kept rolling along. One guy who doesn't get mentioned as much, but seemed to me, along with Eddie and Singleton, to get big hit after big hit is Lee May. 

Still there were a couple of disappointments. With the gap at second base from Bobby Grich's departure, Billy Smith started the season like the job would be his for a while. He OPSed .960 in March/April, with a .460 OBP. He soon returned to earth with a thud, and Earl probably stayed with him for longer than he should. But his collapse opened the door for Rich Dauer, so it turned out OK. (Riding a wave of early-season euphoria, I bet a classmate that Eddie Murray would hit 500 homers and Billy Smith would collect 2,500 hits, might have been 2,500. It wasn't until years later that I realized this guy, an Angels fan, may have known something about Billy, who came out of that organization, that I didn't. Anyway, we were even.) And I could tell that Larry Harlow, at 25, was ready to break out and star in the Orioles' outfield for years to come. The guy looked like he could play, even over the radio.

Thanks again for posting this. And it's nice to see that Singleton has an Orioles team photo (I couldn't tell the year) on his wall.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1