Tommy Milone 2020

Il BuonO

25 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

So let's revisit last night's game.  I think use the same pitchers, except Hess, and utilize them differently.

Open with Carroll, maybe his control is better with the longer bullpen before the game. See if the Sox can catch up to 97 out of the gates.  Goes 1-2 IP before bringing in Milone

Milone looked great the first time through the line up. He probably doesn't have the stuff to always get through the line up a second time, definitely not a 3rd time.  See if you can get 2-4IP from Milone.

Then go to Lakins after the sox have seen the low 3/4 lefty arm slot for a few innings.  Now they are seeing RH with more velo and cutters.  

Maybe it doesn't change anything. I just think the O's need to be more creative with the tools they have if they want to see better outcomes

True - but do they really WANT to win?  Kidding - try to keep it closer by starting with a closer!

5 minutes ago, bobmc said:

True - but do they really WANT to win?  Kidding - try to keep it closer by starting with a closer!

I think we look at innings pitched less and "times through the line up" more.  What skill sets, match ups, and combinations of relievers creates the most different and difficult looks for an opponent each time through the line up.  If we go through the line up 4 to 5 times on average.  That means we should be looking at least 4-5 pitchers a game.  Maybe more, maybe less depending on match ups and some of our starters' effectiveness through the line up a 2nd or 3rd time.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Any bets on how long Milone lasts in the rotation?

He probably gets a start in Miami Wednesday, because it's his turn and Means can't come off the IL until the next day.

When Means comes off the IL and joins the rotation, hopefuly as soon as Thursday, then it's either Milone or Stewart that gets bumped from the rotation.   Milone made his first "statement".   Stewart will make his Tuesday, and Milone will get another chance Wednesday.   If Stewart is at least competent Tuesday, I would have to think Wednesday will be the end of Milone in the rotation.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Any bets on how long Milone lasts in the rotation?

That depends on how they use him going forward. His track record says 1 time thru the lineup. Pair him with another multi inning guy and you might get 5-6 innings out of the tandem. If you assume Means, Cobb, Leblanc can hold rotation spots, pitch them 1, 3, 5 in the rotation and use spots 2 and 4 to test drive tandem paired starters. Pick your best 4 multi innings guys and pair them up to mix pitching styles, handed-ness (is that a word?), whatever their analytics suggest. Breaking up the tandem starts may help save the bullpen and you get more of a chance to see everyone before the cut to 28. In this train wreck of a season why not experiment? If it blows up in our faces what does it matter as we are likely the worst team on paper already.

Here's what I would do if I were in Hyde's place.

Cobb and Means (if and when he returns) take their turns in the rotation. Try to get 5 or 6 innings out of them (subject to Means' physical limitations Means has).

Against the better teams (everyone in the AL East, everyone but Miami in the NL East, Twins, Astros, Tribe, A's, something like that), every other pitcher gets one time through the order (plus a batter or two or three if  the pitcher is doing well and they look like good match-ups). If Cobb or Means gets clobbered a few times, he joins the program. Stick with those limits in a game until it gets out of reach (or the Orioles get way ahead). If a reliever other than Harvey or Givens excels in a few outings, think about using him for 2 or 3 innings at the start of the game. Givens is the closer until he flops. 

Against the bad teams, give the starters other than Cobb and Means a chance to go through the lineup twice.

I think an approach like this maximizes the Orioles' chances to win games against the better teams and, almost as important, keep more games close. There are a lot of pretty good teams in the AL and the NL East. All of them think they have a post-season spot, or at least a chance at one with the expanded post-season, and they will look at series against the Orioles and Tigers as opportunities to sweep. With its current pitching staff and only 59 games left, the Orioles have a shot at an historically low winning percentage. I don't think that would be good for the franchise or for the players on the team who might be part of a better team in the future.

Maybe more important, there are position players whose ability is being evaluated, like Hays, Santander, Stewart, Ruiz, the catchers. I'd like to see these guys get at bats, and be tested in the field and on the bases, in competitive games against good teams. I think an approach like the one I've outlined, or some other departure from the traditional use of starters and long relievers, affords the best opportunity for keeping the Orioles close in those games.

The main downside, obviously, is that this approach is liable to burn out even an expanded pitching staff. So what? Other than positioning Cobb and Givens for possible trades, I don't care about preserving the future health and effectiveness of anyone other Means and Harvey (plus anyone else who pitches well). And there probably will be some games when the staff is so overused that you'll have to leave a guy like Milone or Carroll or even Hess in for longer than you'd like. That would be unfortunate, but worth it.

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Here's what I would do if I were in Hyde's place.

Cobb and Means (if and when he returns) take their turns in the rotation. Try to get 5 or 6 innings out of them (subject to Means' physical limitations Means has).

Against the better teams (everyone in the AL East, everyone but Miami in the NL East, Twins, Astros, Tribe, A's, something like that), every other pitcher gets one time through the order (plus a batter or two or three if  the pitcher is doing well and they look like good match-ups). If Cobb or Means gets clobbered a few times, he joins the program. Stick with those limits in a game until it gets out of reach (or the Orioles get way ahead). If a reliever other than Harvey or Givens excels in a few outings, think about using him for 2 or 3 innings at the start of the game. Givens is the closer until he flops. 

Against the bad teams, give the starters other than Cobb and Means a chance to go through the lineup twice.

I think an approach like this maximizes the Orioles' chances to win games against the better teams and, almost as important, keep more games close. There are a lot of pretty good teams in the AL and the NL East. All of them think they have a post-season spot, or at least a chance at one with the expanded post-season, and they will look at series against the Orioles and Tigers as opportunities to sweep. With its current pitching staff and only 59 games left, the Orioles have a shot at an historically low winning percentage. I don't think that would be good for the franchise or for the players on the team who might be part of a better team in the future.

Maybe more important, there are position players whose ability is being evaluated, like Hays, Santander, Stewart, Ruiz, the catchers. I'd like to see these guys get at bats, and be tested in the field and on the bases, in competitive games against good teams. I think an approach like the one I've outlined, or some other departure from the traditional use of starters and long relievers, affords the best opportunity for keeping the Orioles close in those games.

The main downside, obviously, is that this approach is liable to burn out even an expanded pitching staff. So what? Other than positioning Cobb and Givens for possible trades, I don't care about preserving the future health and effectiveness of anyone other Means and Harvey (plus anyone else who pitches well). And there probably will be some games when the staff is so overused that you'll have to leave a guy like Milone or Carroll or even Hess in for longer than you'd like. That would be unfortunate, but worth it.

Just for the record we don't play anyone but AL East and NL East teams.   So when you say "against the better teams" as you have defined it, you are saying all but our 4 games vs the Marlins, which are coming up Mon-Thu next week.   Every other game this season except this Monday through Thursday is against "better teams" by your definition.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Just for the record we don't play anyone but AL East and NL East teams.   So when you say "against the better teams" as you have defined it, you are saying all but our 4 games vs the Marlins, which are coming up Mon-Thu next week.   Every other game this season except this Monday through Thursday is against "better teams" by your definition.

Thanks. Sorry about that. I wasn't paying attention, for a change.

That makes it simpler.