Big announcement on the future of Orioles Hangout

Tony-OH

Just now, interloper said:

That's different than the civil rights movement that has largely overtaken whatever this is.

Being patriotic is political? I guess if you hate the country it is... I dunno. I’m just saying... they refer to themselves as a political movement. When you click “donate” note where it takes you. 

It is overtly political.

Let’s set all of that aside for a second ... honestly I don’t really begrudge anyone for their politics. That is a deeply personal thing. Which is exactly why it needs to not slither it’s way into professional sports.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Things get politicized in this country. That's kind of what we do. The media, entertainment, music, sports. It's in our DNA as Americans. It happened in the 50s, we literally had propaganda. It just happens, it doesn't mean the baseball is dead or compromised. It's reacting to the times and it will ebb and flow with current events as it always had. 

There are far more important things to worry about.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Being patriotic is political? I guess if you hate the country it is... I dunno. I’m just saying... they refer to themselves as a political movement. When you click “donate” note where it takes you. 

It is overtly political.

Let’s set all of that aside for a second ... honestly I don’t really begrudge anyone for their politics. That is a deeply personal thing. Which is exactly why it needs to not slither it’s way into professional sports.

Being patriotic is political, of course. I consider myself patriotic normally, actually. I don't think it has a place in sports though, but that's just me. It doesn't mean I hate the country. And no one can be apolitical, ever.

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

The idea that kneeling has anything to do with the flag or the troops is something entirely fabricated by those who misunderstand the meaning of the protest. It's never been about disrespect to the country, it's about bringing awareness to injustice and to express one's disappointment that it's happening in this country, under this flag. 

It's about wanting to be the country we're supposed to be, about being better. It's positive! But somehow people took it to mean dis-allegiance. Of course not. 

I mean, when the pro athlete that first did it and got huge recognition for it, after losing his starting spot to a career journeyman and who was in the verge of being cut from his team anyway, he maintained his stance by wearing a Fidel Castro shirt and then socks with pigs in police uniforms. Very respectful overall.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Things get politicized in this country. That's kind of what we do. The media, entertainment, music, sports. It's in our DNA as Americans. It happened in the 50s, we literally had propaganda. It just happens, it doesn't mean the baseball is dead or compromised. It's reacting to the times and it will ebb and flow with current events as it always had. 

There are far more important things to worry about.

Dude when you get older... it’s hard to ignore it. It sucks, it’s like bad adult soap operas or something. I don’t want to be the get off my lawn guy, but I need baseball to get off my lawn at this moment.

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I mean, when the pro athlete that first did it and got huge recognition for it, after losing his starting spot to a career journeyman and who was in the verge of being cut from his team anyway, he maintained his stance by wearing a Fidel Castro shirt and then socks with pigs in police uniforms. Very respectful overall.

If that's how you choose to view the whole thing, then fine. Do more research into the countless others who have protested in this way and you will find it's overwhelmingly about awareness.

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Do you not see how this is quite obviously a political statement? 

Not at all.  It’s not a political statement in the least. it is a commentary on the decision by major league baseball to comment on something aside from baseball. We should be talking about baseball, but we’re not, we’re talking about major-league baseball participating in politics. I’m not commenting on the politics themselves but saying that it is foolish for major-league baseball to get involved. That’s not a political statement.

And your comment reinforces my own comment. I don’t come here to argue politics or discuss politics or even consider politics. I come here to talk about how Ryan Mountcastle’s defense is useless

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes. NFL forcing players to stand is just as political as individual players taking knee. Seems like politicization is OK when it's your politics. 

The NFL forces players to do all kinds of stupid crap. If you wear the wrong color socks you get fined. 

The NFL sucks. It has for a long time. Way before anyone took a knee. 

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Dude when you get older... it’s hard to ignore it. It sucks, it’s like bad adult soap operas or something. I don’t want to be the get off my lawn guy, but I need baseball to get off my lawn at this moment.

Of all the things to be upset about, you're upset that MLB is trying to stand for civil rights. They're doing it by using a movement you have qualms about, I get it, but then their crime is naivety. I disagree, but I understand what you mean. I just don't think they are meaning to be quite as political about it as people think.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, weams said:

May I go to sleep?  I would prefer if we go back to no politics until Tony tells you his call. 

Hahahaha

It’s way past my bedtime. I’m just trying to train myself not to sleep because soon sleep won’t happen anyway.

Goodnight sweet prince.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes. NFL forcing players to stand is just as political as individual players taking knee. Seems like politicization is OK when it's your politics. 

I’ll be fine with kneeling when that action actually causes change. It’s such a easy, “look at me, I’m brave/I care” thing to do. Comes off as phony to me. Go put in work in the community, go spend TIME with communities.. I’ll applaud that each and every day. 

The idea that wanting to avoid politics in a game funded by billionaire owners and a game that invites presidents and politicians to throw out pitches and a game that glorifies the military and a game with a rich history in civil rights movements... Like that's completely laughable. All the things I just stated are facts of the game and they're fine. That's baseball. Baseball has never not been political. We should just embrace it, it's everything about America in one sport, for better AND for worse.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1