Hyde trys to find some pitchers he can trust

wildcard

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would you think that other teams would be willing to trade "real prospects" for a guy making market value?  Or do you think he would have cut the O's a deal?  I've seen no evidence to support that theory.

He's a Boras guy. Don't usually get many discounts there.

To get a deal you would have had to sign him long term while he had a ruptured Achilles. Seems pretty unlikely, especially with the O's ownership.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would you think that other teams would be willing to trade "real prospects" for a guy making market value?  Or do you think he would have cut the O's a deal?  I've seen no evidence to support that theory.

Because he is highly effective late inning lefty and they are hard to find.  Why is there something wrong with resigning a really good player that has done a lot for you and has a lot left in the tank??  Would you guys prefer us to purposely field the worst team we can but still reserve the right to complain about it.  Building through the draft is very hit or miss and there are many more misses.  The international guys won’t be in the MLB for 5 more years or so.  So you can sign quality guys enjoy them while you can and then flip them for prospects when their value is high.  The Oakland A’s do this all the time and so do the Rays.  For whatever reason we are unwilling to do it.  I vote for being able to watch a better baseball product while reserving hope for a better trade return when the time is right and not when we are desperate.

1 minute ago, fitzi22 said:

Because he is highly effective late inning lefty and they are hard to find.  Why is there something wrong with resigning a really good player that has done a lot for you and has a lot left in the tank??  Would you guys prefer us to purposely field the worst team we can but still reserve the right to complain about it.  Building through the draft is very hit or miss and there are many more misses.  The international guys won’t be in the MLB for 5 more years or so.  So you can sign quality guys enjoy them while you can and then flip them for prospects when their value is high.  The Oakland A’s do this all the time and so do the Rays.  For whatever reason we are unwilling to do it.  I vote for being able to watch a better baseball product while reserving hope for a better trade return when the time is right and not when we are desperate.

That's a reason to pay market value for one, not a reason to trade good players to pay market value for one.

I don't think Britton, a Boras client, would have given the O's a below market deal.

Hardy, Davis, O'Day, Roberts, and Trumbo all say hi!

20 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

It would be filling a hole with a high quality player that you all incessantly complain about while reserving the right to trade him in the future on the high for some real prospects. Sounds like a win for me.  Unless you guys like to complain and find ways for the O’s to save $$$$ for nothing.

You guys? You mean the folks who bought into a real rebuild? I blame the Boras training facility if anything for that. I do think he had partially torn it late in the year coming off the mound. He may have been injured in Toronto. 

7 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

So the only difference in Sulser’s outing was a blown strike call to take it 3-1. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's a reason to pay market value for one, not a reason to trade good players to pay market value for one.

I don't think Britton, a Boras client, would have given the O's a below market deal.

Hardy, Davis, O'Day, Roberts, and Trumbo all say hi!

I’m pretty sure weren’t in flip mode when signed those guys.  But rather overpay to win now mode ( except for Roberts who was an ownership favorite).

So let me get this straight CoC, you are against taking on contracts of good players to enjoy now and flip later for prospects when the time is right?

1 minute ago, fitzi22 said:

I’m pretty sure weren’t in flip mode when signed those guys.  But rather overpay to win now mode ( except for Roberts who was an ownership favorite).

So let me get this straight CoC, you are against taking on contracts of good players to enjoy now and flip later for prospects when the time is right?

I don't think it is good gamble to sign players with the intent to flip them at a later date.  I think that, in today's market, you don't get much back and you run the risk of having to pay the player for their entire contract.

I don't think Britton was a good candidate for that approach.

4 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

I’ll play. Yes. On a rebuilding team I am. 

11 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

And this unwillingness to take a chance will slow the Orioles down from pulling out of this death spiral rebuild.

Can you give me some recent examples of teams signing a guy to a deal with the intent of flipping them and then receiving a valuable return?

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Nobody is going to be “Great” or even good every time. Even the best closers blow saves IMO. I’d give Sulser the opportunity to bounce back. All these guys need a chance to get on track in an odd season where we are expecting little. 

Oh yes that was exactly my point. Sulser did a very good job with Tampa Bay last year and a very small sample size, but they let him go because of a roster crunch and because I think he’s 30 or 31. They didn’t let him go because he was bad, but Tampa has lots and lots of great pitching. I think he’s going to be fine. As I said before I have no problem with how Brandon handled the pitching yesterday. It just didn’t work out.