O's-Nats Game Suspended

cboemmeljr

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I would have loved to see Earl Weavers response to something like that yesterday. Back in the day I guarantee we would have protested no matter what the rule said.   

o

When I was in 7th grade in September of 1977, American League President Lee MacPhail ruled against Earl Weaver and company when they appealed the infamous tarpaulin forfeit game. There was a tarpaulin on the field in foul territory, and there were bricks on top of the tarpaulin holding it in place. Weaver was concerned that one of his players might get injured with the bricks being in the field of play.The umpires refused Weaver's request, and so Weaver took his team off of the field. After 15 minutes, the umpires declared the game a forfeit in favor of the Blue Jays.

About a week later, I remember reading the The Reporter Dispatch that MacPhail had denied the Orioles' appeal of the forfeit ........ and yes, Lee was Andy's father.

This article was written the day after the game, which was immediately ruled a forfeit. About a week later, I remember reading the The Reporter Dispatch that MacPhail had denied the Orioles' appeal of the forfeit.

Orioles Lose by a Forfeit in Bull‐Pen Mound Dispute.

(United Press International).

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/09/16/archives/orioles-lose-by-a-forfeit-in-bullpen-mound-dispute-orioles-forfeit.html

o

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

OK, all anger and tongue-in-cheek humor aside, this is one of those things which good teams find a way to overcome and persevere.

Shit happens in life, and Major League Baseball is no exception ........ I was watching the game on WPIX-11 here in Brewster in August of 1978 in which the Orioles were the beneficiary of a very questionable rule when they were playing the Yankees at Memorial Stadium. With the Orioles leading by a score of 3-0, the Yankees scored 5 runs in the top of the 7th inning to take a 5-3 lead (or so they thought.) The Orioles were batting in the bottom half of the inning when torrential downpours came, forcing the game to be delayed. When the rain stopped, the field was no longer playable. Under the rules at the time, since the entire 7th inning had not yet been completed, they went backwards to the last full inning that was completed ........ which meant that the 5 runs that the Yankees scored were wiped away, and the Orioles were declared winners of the game by a score of 3-0.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL197808130.shtml

So to make a long story a little bit longer, the Orioles need to simply suck it up and complete the win on Friday ........ shit happens, and good teams roll with the punches when it does, they don't scream bloody murder because of an injustice.

o

I think the Yankees lobbied to change the rule after that, and it happened.   You don't wipe runs off the board anymore and revert to a previous complete inning.   If the road team has scored to tie or take the lead in the top of the inning and the bottom of the inning hasn't been completed, the game is now suspended.

22 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

OK, all anger and tongue-in-cheek humor aside, this is one of those things which good teams find a way to overcome and persevere.

Shit happens in life, and Major League Baseball is no exception ........ I was watching the game on WPIX-11 here in Brewster in August of 1978 in which the Orioles were the beneficiary of a very questionable rule when they were playing the Yankees at Memorial Stadium. With the Orioles leading by a score of 3-0, the Yankees scored 5 runs in the top of the 7th inning to take a 5-3 lead (or so they thought.) The Orioles were batting in the bottom half of the inning when torrential downpours came, forcing the game to be delayed. When the rain stopped, the field was no longer playable. Under the rules at the time, since the entire 7th inning had not yet been completed, they went backwards to the last full inning that was completed ........ which meant that the 5 runs that the Yankees scored were wiped away, and the Orioles were declared winners of the game by a score of 3-0.

So to make a long story a little bit longer, the Orioles need to simply suck it up and complete the win on Friday ........ shit happens, and good teams roll with the punches when it does, they don't scream bloody murder because of an injustice.

o

14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think that the Yankees lobbied to change the rule after that, and it happened. You don't wipe runs off the board anymore and revert to a previous complete inning. If the road team has scored to tie or take the lead in the top of the inning and the bottom of the inning hasn't been completed, the game is now suspended.

o

The rule was changed 2 years later, in 1980.

o

On 8/9/2020 at 9:01 PM, OFFNY said:

o

o

o 

"What 2020 has taught the Orioles is to be adaptable."

Rich Dubroff

Suspended Game Just Another in a Season of Challenges for 2020 Orioles

(By Rich Dubroff)

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2020/08/10/suspended-game-just-another-season-challenges-2020-orioles/

o

19 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

When I was in 7th grade in September of 1977, American League President Lee MacPhail ruled against Earl Weaver and company when they appealed the infamous tarpaulin forfeit game. There was a tarpaulin on the field in foul territory, and there were bricks on top of the tarpaulin holding it in place. Weaver was concerned that one of his players might get injured with the bricks being in the field of play.The umpires refused Weaver's request, and so Weaver took his team off of the field. After 15 minutes, the umpires declared the game a forfeit in favor of the Blue Jays.

About a week later, I remember reading the The Reporter Dispatch that MacPhail had denied the Orioles' appeal of the forfeit ........ and yes, Lee was Andy's father.

This article was written the day after the game, which was immediately ruled a forfeit. About a week later, I remember reading the The Reporter Dispatch that MacPhail had denied the Orioles' appeal of the forfeit.

Orioles Lose by a Forfeit in Bull‐Pen Mound Dispute.

(United Press International).

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/09/16/archives/orioles-lose-by-a-forfeit-in-bullpen-mound-dispute-orioles-forfeit.html

o

I believe that was the last MLB forfeit that didn't result from some kind of fan-related disturbance like the Mets' ball (or bat?) day fiasco or Disco Demolition Night. 

There has to be some backstory with the O's game and Weaver.  Bricks on a tarp, really?  I think Earl was hung over and didn't want to be there.  Or he had some prior spat with one of the umps and wouldn't let it go.

Edit: When did Bull-Pen become one word?  Or was this a weird Canadian thing and it was always one word?

So just some questions about the bullpen to finish the game. Does Fry have to face two batters to start out. 

6th: Fry

7th: Givens

8th: Castro

9th: Sulser

I’d really like if we just dropped the hammer on them with Givens to start out and hopefully he can mow down the bottom of the lineup and possible go 2IP. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So just some questions about the bullpen to finish the game. Does Fry have to face two batters to start out. 

6th: Fry

7th: Givens

8th: Castro

9th: Sulser

I’d really like if we just dropped the hammer on them with Givens to start out and hopefully he can mow down the bottom of the lineup and possible go 2IP. 

Fry came on and got the last batter in the 5th.  Then the inning ended.  So he is not required to start the 6th because you can take a guy out after the inning even if he hasn't face 3 guys.  But if he DOES stay in the game and start the 6th, he must face two batters.  Since a switch hitter and a lefty are due, I think it makes sense to let Fry face the first two guys in the 6th.

The game tonight resumes with Smith on 2nd and Sisco on 1st with 1 out and Valaika (SS) at bat and Holaday (C) on deck.  Hyde has Iglesias and Severino available on the bench.  Any chance he pinch hits for one of these guys? If Iglesias was 100% healthy I would say pinch hit him but I would rather see him play the full second game tonight.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

We have a 4 run lead, plus we have a threat going in the top of the 6th. If we can expand the lead to 5 or 6 runs, maybe we can try to finish the game without using all three of our best relief pitchers. Save one or two of them for the second game.

o

It's a 3-run lead.

But, yes. This is a game that needs to be won ........ then again, I have been saying that about every Orioles game since October 2nd of 2014.

o