Cedric Mullins and the buntin’ Birds

Frobby

17 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know that it's a negative, but I also don't think you can count on him getting a bunt hit every other game going forward. Teams will quickly pick up on this and adjust their defense accordingly.  But even that can open up opportunities, as the defense isn't optimally aligned for when he swings away.

I think that any time the defense lets you bunt you should take full advantage.  If you can hit .700 on bunts you'll take that all day every day.

I'm surprised defenses haven't already adjusted.  Seems to be obvious as to what's been going on.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know that it's a negative, but I also don't think you can count on him getting a bunt hit every other game going forward. Teams will quickly pick up on this and adjust their defense accordingly.  But even that can open up opportunities, as the defense isn't optimally aligned for when he swings away.

I think that any time the defense lets you bunt you should take full advantage.  If you can hit .700 on bunts you'll take that all day every day.

I would generally agree.  But someone who has a 2% barrel rate isn't going to be adding too many more hits even with an adjusted defense.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

And we can hear Davis saying,”bunting isn’t my game.”

Well, it's not.  I mean, there's not much that he can do.

Mullins is a threat to bunt from a couple of perspectives.  First, he seems to have good enough bat control to do it.  He's not popping them up, he's getting them down and he's getting them down nicely...they're well placed.  And second, he's got the speed to beat it out. He's not costing the team outs when he does it, IIRC.  

Davis, even if he could bunt, probably would still cost the team an out.  Which would be fine if he could move a runner over but even then I'm not sure if he's got the bat control to do it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Mullins is a threat to bunt from a couple of perspectives.  First, he seems to have good enough bat control to do it.  He's not popping them up, he's getting them down and he's getting them down nicely...they're well placed.  And second, he's got the speed to beat it out. He's not costing the team outs when he does it, IIRC.  

Davis, even if he could bunt, probably would still cost the team an out.  Which would be fine if he could move a runner over but even then I'm not sure if he's got the bat control to do it.

Folks look at the shift and see all that space and think a bunt is automatic.  He still needs to get it past the pitcher and catcher, as well as keep it fair.  That isn't automatic when you are as slow as Davis.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Mullins sprint speed: 28-29 ft/sec.

Davis: 24.  

A Mullins bang-bang play at first would be Davis out by 10 feet.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks look at the shift and see all that space and think a bunt is automatic.  He still needs to get it past the pitcher and catcher, as well as keep it fair.  That isn't automatic when you are as slow as Davis.

Agreed.  It's an advanced skill.  Even if Chris could keep a couple fair and past the pitcher, they'd eventually slide 10 more feet towards third base and force him to swing and miss again.

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That’s all true. But when you’re being shifted, and everybody in the infield is on the first base side of second except the third baseman, don’t you think there is enough Open ground for him to be able to bunt for a single often enough to at least keep them from shifting against him?

26 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Agreed.  It's an advanced skill.  Even if Chris could keep a couple fair and past the pitcher, they'd eventually slide 10 more feet towards third base and force him to swing and miss again.

I'd still have him bunt every at bat that there's no one on the third base side of the infield.  Force them to pull the rover back to third base.

When your OPS+ is -2 what could it hurt?

• Upvote 1