If only Elias hadn't traded the 11th best player in baseball (Bundy) for next to nothing

Rojo13

1 minute ago, billw76 said:

I think some are valuing Bundy based off of this season, and not the Bundy of the past few years. He never lived up to his potential here, and I honestly don't think Elias or many other GMs could have gotten more for him. 

I don't think I am.  I think a league average pitcher making reasonable money with two years of team control is worth more to a pitching hungry team than the O's received.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Really don’t care about ARB! As I mentioned, saved money doesn’t matter unless it spent elsewhere.

The money does not have to be spent today. Every dollar saved now gives us more flexibility to sign a Correa or Lindor in 2022. Or extend Mountcastle or Santander or Rutschman. Maybe that is wishful thinking but $3M is not nothing and the dollars do add up. If you can replace Castro with a guy making $500K you do it. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

The money does not have to be spent today. Every dollar saved now gives us more flexibility to sign a Correa or Lindor in 2022. Or extend Mountcastle or Santander or Rutschman. Maybe that is wishful thinking but $3M is not nothing and the dollars do add up. If you can replace Castro with a guy making $500K you do it. 

Or it doesn't.  We don't know.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Not every trade ....Givens is the only deal that Elias has made that I like. With the payroll so low I’m sure you’ll admit that they don’t need to slash payroll?

I wish they'd open the books so we know.  We do have a good inkling that in a non-COVID year their revenues are less than 40% of the Yankees'.  Behind by $400M.  So if the Angelos boys told me that I have $125M or $150M to do whatever with, from staff to players to drafting to building academies in Uruguay, I know I'd slash payroll down to nothing until I was good and ready to spend on this year's wins.  There are a heck of a lot of things I could do with $10M or $20M that make more long term impact than two or three extra wins in 2020 or 2021.

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We do not know if those funds will be made available in the future.

We don't know anything for sure.  But we do know with some certainty that a few million spent on the Orioles' payroll this year does almost nothing to help the next good Orioles team and it might do some long term good spent elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think I am.  I think a league average pitcher making reasonable money with two years of team control is worth more to a pitching hungry team than the O's received.

There's a line of 4.50 ERA relievers that stretches around the block.  Relievers that strike out nine men a game are the new AAA first basemen.  Turn over a log and you'll find six.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I definitely don't disagree that to the Angels of all teams he should have been worth more. If Bundys numbers come back to career normals before the season is out I wonder how many will still feel the same about what we received.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There's a line of 4.50 ERA relievers that stretches around the block.  Relievers that strike out nine men a game are the new AAA first basemen.  Turn over a log and you'll find six.

That line of 4.50 ERA is probably the same for starting pitchers as well. Teams aren't gonna give up a top prospect for a league average SP these days.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Doesnt work that way Sir!