Orioles Blow Lead And Lose 7-6

cboemmeljr

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That catch by Conforto. Should Alberto have bunted in the 6th?  Sisco’s baserunning error. Should Holaday have came into catch when we were up 6-1. 

Blowing the 6-1 lead was a team effort though. 

Are you suggesting that Sisco's play behind the plate cost the O's six runs?  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That catch by Conforto.

The singular incident we might remember as the high water mark of a fun flirtation with contention.

Another Akin-Cole upset would put the excitement back where it was, but the playing with house money aspect of it is gone tonight, and that's an awfully big ask.

How bad are the Mountcastle second guesses if he ends up a strong 2nd to Luis Robert, and he leads the team through hanging tough 18 more days and missing the 8 seed by a couple games?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I guess I figured his post was about the cumulative effect of 4 different plays/decisions. 

I think folks have a skewed view on how much impact a catcher has on run prevention.  Poor framing and sub-optimal pitch calling isn't going to result in six runs.

That of course is assuming Sisco did any worse in those things than Holaday would have.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think folks have a skewed view on how much impact a catcher has on run prevention.  Poor framing and sub-optimal pitch calling isn't going to result in six runs.

That of course is assuming Sisco did any worse in those things than Holaday would have.

Well again, I read sportsfan8703's post as each of the 4 plays/decisions contributed a portion of the blown lead. I don't think he was suggesting that a catcher's framing and pitch calling was solely responsible for giving up 6 runs. 

Edited by Jagwar
left out the word "calling"

I think it would have been pretty dramatic to replace the catcher in what, the third inning?

Anyway, it's a pretty big swing. If the Orioles and Blue Jays had won last night, I would have said split the Yankees series, but even winning one out of four doesn't kill you. Now I think losing this Yankees series 3-1 would effectively end the season.

Why on earth does it seem like these amazing acrobatic plays always get made against our hitters? From the Buck days to now, we get so many “web gems” made against us. Is there any reason behind it? Maybe our hitters are just not quite good enough to hit it where they ain’t? Or just bad luck? 

Either way, I smell a sweep coming this weekend at the hands of NYY to drive in the dagger?