How does Elias maintain a Top 10 farm system without high draft choices

wildcard

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Bought out a year of FA, but also gives cost certainty on the arb years.

Here is where it gets into game theory and metaphysics, but I think it bought out two years of FA for 2/22 if the options are exercised, except that if he hadn't signed the preseason deal, he would have had something to work on to defer his actual free agency to what is now the second option year.

The goal is to win the World Series. By the time there is not a top notch farm system and the draft picks are lower than now, the Orioles hopefully will be World Champs.  Only the money machine franchises like NYY, LAD, etc can have both at the same time.  The Orioles need to beg, borrow and steal from the Farm for use ASAP to reach the real goal, WS Champs.  

3 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

The goal is to win the World Series. By the time there is not a top notch farm system and the draft picks are lower than now, the Orioles hopefully will be World Champs.  Only the money machine franchises like NYY, LAD, etc can have both at the same time.  The Orioles need to beg, borrow and steal from the Farm for use ASAP to reach the real goal, WS Champs.  

The Rays have the best record in the American league and the top ranked farm system.

We have to have top 10 international signing classes. That would be a big step. Right now we’re dead last - bottom five, every year. 

I wouldn’t worry about us not having a top 10 pick this year. Not to be negative, but we’re in a bit of a free fall. Also, we have 15 games left. 11 against ATL, TB, and Toronto. I think we go 5-10 at best. Put it like this, I don’t think we’re going to have to “try” to lose. 

We’re set to pick #9 right now. We’ll finish with a top 5 pick. Maybe 3rd. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We have to have top 10 international signing classes. That would be a big step. Right now we’re dead last - bottom five, every year. 

I wouldn’t worry about us not having a top 10 pick this year. Not to be negative, but we’re in a bit of a free fall. Also, we have 15 games left. 11 against ATL, TB, and Toronto. I think we go 5-10 at best. Put it like this, I don’t think we’re going to have to “try” to lose. 

We’re set to pick #9 right now. We’ll finish with a top 5 pick. Maybe 3rd. 

I think the bolded was true 3 years ago. Two years ago it changed. This year was "who knows?" I wouldn't be shocked if this upcoming international class is top 10 or even top 5. It's a stated goal and relatively cheap to do. I expect it has already changed.

10 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think the bolded was true 3 years ago. Two years ago it changed. This year was "who knows?" I wouldn't be shocked if this upcoming international class is top 10 or even top 5. It's a stated goal and relatively cheap to do. I expect it has already changed.

I think because most of the top kids are usually recruited for 2+ years before they officially sign, and often have oral agreements with teams, our first year competing on an even playing field with the other teams will be 2021.  That said, we did make some progress with our 2019 class, and there were rumors of a few good signings in the 2020 class, though the official signing date has been moved from July to January so we don’t know who we will sign.   And of course, the DSL didn’t play this year (nor the “Tricky League” so far as I know), so it’s really hard to judge the 2019 class other than whatever people believed at this time last year.   

49 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Two years ago they were still at the bottom.