O's vs Yankees, Game 1 of the doubleheader

SteveA

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Bring in your best down 5 with 12 games in 10 days? 

Are you going to surrender this game? if you are, that’s a valid attitude. But sending in a Waiver wire castoff from a terrible team is waving the white flag, and like you said, we have only 17 games left.

Now the Yankees can send in their trash guys, and rest their A-Team for the rest of the series.

Just now, Philip said:

Are you going to surrender this game? if you are, that’s a valid attitude. But sending in a Waiver wire castoff from a terrible team is waving the white flag, and like you said, we have only 17 games left.

Now the Yankees can send in their trash guys, and rest their A-Team for the rest of the series.

If they don’t score off Cole what does it matter? The offense will determine how to manage.

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

What?  Cause Cobb is doing so well, that you are not surrendering the game by leaving him in>

Yes that’s valid. Cobb is bad, so is Fulmer. So is the hitting, and the defense hasn’t been great either. 
I guess we have a conundrum.

we lose if we leave him in, we lose if we remove him. That’s one reason I hate 7- inning games.

On the other hand, if the Other guy throws a no-hitter, that kind of trumps anything else.

5 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Sigh.  At least we get to face Gary Sanchez.  This is probably how other teams feel about facing Davis.

The Yankees have some legitimate issues long term. Ton of money to Stanton who can’t stay healthy, Judge can’t stay healthy. Sanchez will be gone in a couple of years. Torres is young but rest of lineup is older in general.  

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes that’s valid. Cobb is bad, so is Fulmer. So is the hitting, and the defense hasn’t been great either. 
I guess we have a conundrum.

we lose if we leave him in, we lose if we remove him. That’s one reason I hate 7- inning games.

On the other hand, if the Other guy throws a no-hitter, that kind of trumps anything else.

I don’t like 7 inning games for the future. I would rather teams be allowed to add 2 players for a DH or one player per DH. Don’t care about MiL. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The Yankees have some legitimate issues long term. Ton of money to Stanton who can’t stay healthy, Judge can’t stay healthy. Sanchez will be gone in a couple of years. Torres is young but rest of lineup is older in general.  

Yeah.  Agreed.

If only Sanchez's contract was as awful as Davis's is for us.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Oour win expectancy in this game is 2.38%.   Bringing in our best reliever probably bumps it to 3 or 4%, bringing in our worst lowers it to 1%.

But if you bring in your best reliever now, then that means there is going to come a time when he is unavailable later in the series.   And at that time, he can probably do a lot more than change our chance to win by 1%.   He can have a lot more effect on a winning/losing.

And given that we are starting a 10 day stretch where we have TWELVE games (though 4 of them are 7 innings).... it is absolutely foolish to use a good reliever here.

All this talk about "giving up" and team morale is hogwash.   These guys have played in thousands of baseball games, they know how baseball works.  You can lose a game 10-0 and it doesn't affect you the next game.   If we lose this series to the Yankees it will be because they are the beter team with better pitching, not because of one loss to the Mets Wednesday affecting us.

• Thanks 1