Greene being forced out of San Diego?

Crazysilver03

San Diego Tribune

Padres CEO Sandy Alderson acknowledged Tuesday that the club is pursuing a grievance against its normally stoic shortstop, who was lost for the season because of an injury sustained during a fit of frustration on July 30.

Greene broke the fifth metacarpal bone in his left hand in punching a Petco Park storage cabinet after his 100th strikeout of the season. The injury caused Greene to miss the season's last two months and nearly a third of the Padres' scheduled games.

On a pro-rated basis, that could leave as much as $1.47 million of his $4.5 million salary in dispute.

“In a specific sense, it's about recovering payment for services not rendered based on contract language that legally supports our position,” Alderson said. “In the larger sense, it's about deterring this kind of conduct in the future because the consequences can be critical to a team.

“I don't know how to put into words the frustration level, how difficult this year has been,” Greene said at the time of his injury. “For me to do that, it's certainly not commonplace.”

Greene's representatives did not immediately respond to an interview request from The San Diego Union-Tribune. The 28-year-old infielder is scheduled to earn $6.5 million in 2009, his final year before free agency.

“I hope he understands our position,” Alderson said.

I dont see how Greene can return to the Padres in 2009 if this all happens. I feel this pretty much seals his fate as not being a Padre in 2009.

If we could trade a low level prospect or someone like Hayden Penn and absorbed his entire contract, I wonder how that would go over.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Daniel Cabrera for Khalil Greene.

If the Padres are shedding payroll, I doubt they would head that way. It might be easiest to trade for him if we absorb his contract and dont send much talent back.

We have half the equation with Cabrera, very little talent, but he is paid way to much.

If the deal was there I am sure it would be done, but I doubt the Padres go for it.

Interestingly enough, this would be a landmark case, because players do stupid things like that all the time. Imagine if Colorado went after Tulo for breaking and splintering his bat in frustration, or the Yankees went after Kevin Brown when he punched the wall. Or Steve Sparks trying to rip a phone book in half. And my favorite, Zumaya's Guitar Hero injury...

Heck we could have gone after Cordova for burning himself on the tanning bed... :laughlol:

Looking at the dearth of free agent shortstops available Greene is looking more and more like a perfect oppurtunity for us.

I don't see how his asking price can be too high. He only has one year left to free agency and he's going to struggle to get any draft pick compensation(without a good bounce back year). Presumably we'd be looking to extend him though or we'd be right back to square one when he walks for nothing after 2009.

Interesting decision by the Padres and it will be interesting to see how the whole thing plays out, but it does look like the kind of opportunity a good team finds a way to take advantage of. Getting someone like Greene to fill a dire need because of oddball circumstances without giving up much would be the kind of move that puts us solidly on the path to being an intelligently run organization and shows guys like Roberts and Markakis who have to make extension decisions that they're on a solid path to respectability. Find a way, Andy!

Looking at the dearth of free agent shortstops available Greene is looking more and more like a perfect oppurtunity for us.

I don't see how his asking price can be too high. He only has one year left to free agency and he's going to struggle to get any draft pick compensation(without a good bounce back year). Presumably we'd be looking to extend him though or we'd be right back to square one when he walks for nothing after 2009.

My guess is a down year would help our extension efforts. We might be able to extend him for 3/18-21. And if he bounces back offensively to an .800 OPS, you'll have one of the best SS's in the league for a reduced cost. And if he only makes it back to a .725 or .750, you still have one of the best defensive SS's in baseball that has some pop with the bat and he'll only be slightly overpaid.

Hernandez and Beato for Greene? I'd hate to give up on Dave before he gets a good shot, but with SD's park any pitcher going out there is going to have a better chance than most anywhere else in the league, so they should be looking for pitching prospects. They have a good chance of getting a SS prospect in a deal for Peavy, at least a better chance than dealing Greene for one since his value is down.

San Diego Tribune

I dont see how Greene can return to the Padres in 2009 if this all happens. I feel this pretty much seals his fate as not being a Padre in 2009.

If we could trade a low level prospect or someone like Hayden Penn and absorbed his entire contract, I wonder how that would go over.

If we could get Green for Hayden Penn I would be absolutely thrilled. As it is... this should still be a situation where AM blows up the phone line. If we could get Greene then we'd have our SS situation taken care of for next year. You hope he does well and sign him to an extension. He's a serious upgrade over any of the stiffs we put out at SS this year anyways.

Could we eat Cabrera's contract and ship him to SD? I know the Padres are looking to cut some payroll, maybe that's how they'll do it. I think Greene would do well in OPACY, a lot of those fly-outs would turn to home runs.

Hernandez and Beato for Greene? I'd hate to give up on Dave before he gets a good shot, but with SD's park any pitcher going out there is going to have a better chance than most anywhere else in the league, so they should be looking for pitching prospects. They have a good chance of getting a SS prospect in a deal for Peavy, at least a better chance than dealing Greene for one since his value is down.

Dave Hernandez and Pedro Beato is a deal I would only do for Greene if we could know for sure he would sign an extension (and not suck as much either).

When I thought of Penn, I was thinking of someone that is cheap and wouldnt be highly missed on our end and if it was only for a year of Greene. Even if it was for only one year, I would still like to trade for Greene with the hopes of finding someone else to step up after he is gone.

Now here is a question, would anyone trade Olson or Liz straight up for Greene?

Now here is a question, would anyone trade Olson or Liz straight up for Greene?

If San Diego wanted a pitcher, I would think the Padres would want one with a 2008 ERA on the low side of 6.60, an opponents' batting average lower than .295, a WHIP lower than 1.70 and a K/BB ratio higher than 1.35.

Of course, the Padres will need a shortstop to field a team in 2009 and the San Diego farm system has no obvious candidates.

Archived