Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

4 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Our old pal Brandon Snyder, 1st round pick from 13 years ago (!!) getting another call up for the Rays.

Took pitching lessons from Brandon's dad, Brian back in the mid to late 90s in Northern VA while I was still in high school.  Nicest guy ever.  Brian had a stint in 85 with the Mariners and a cup of coffee with the 89 Athletics.  Haven't seen him in years but working with him at his academy was one of my fondest memories growing up and playing baseball.

Always rooting for Brandon cause I know how much it means to his dad.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Well Flaherty's batting line is inflated by a .447 BABIP. His Career BABIP is .272. So even if you give him credit for better contact quality and a .300 BABIP, his line would look like .238/.329/.321 which is only ever so slightly better than his career line.

I think BABIP is a terrible stat in small samples.     If you have a streak where you are hitting the ball really hard, you’re going to have a high BABIP.     I don’t consider a high BABIP in a small sample to necessarily reflect that the player’s been lucky.   I’d love to know what Flaherty’s xwOBA is.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think BABIP is a terrible stat in small samples.     If you have a streak where you are hitting the ball really hard, you’re going to have a high BABIP.     I don’t consider a high BABIP in a small sample to necessarily reflect that the player’s been lucky.   I’d love to know what Flaherty’s xwOBA is.

I get your point, but if he was really smoking the ball, I think he'd have better than a .083 ISO.

His xwOBA is .337 btw

9 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I get your point, but if he was really smoking the ball, I think he'd have better than a .083 ISO.

His xwOBA is .337 btw

Vs. .381 actual wOBA.    So that does suggest that he’s been lucky.

To be honest, I haven’t been following Flash’s stats carefully, other than to know that he got off to a hot start and now the second-guessers are acting like we gave up Mickey Mantle.    I was actually surprised when you told me his ISO was .083.    The way people have been acting I assumed it was north of .200.     

Just now, Frobby said:

Vs. .381 actual wOBA.    So that does suggest that he’s been lucky.

To be honest, I haven’t been following Flash’s stats carefully, other than to know that he got off to a hot start and now the second-guessers are acting like we gave up Mickey Mantle.    I was actually surprised when you told me his ISO was .083.    The way people have been acting I assumed it was north of .200.     

0 HRs, 4 doubles

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Then it is true, he's become the new, improved Melvin Mora. Random utility guy in his 20s, MVP candidate in his 30s.  Good for him.

Drat, my sarcasm detector just broke.  Can someone help me out?

6 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Flaherty is still batting .354 and has the 3rd best average in all of baseball.

I had a good discussion with Luke in the ex-Orioles thread in the MLB forum.   Flaherty’s BABIP is crazy high, and his xwOBA (expected wOBA based on quality of contact) is well above his wOBA.    So, there’s a lot of evidence he’s been lucky, and he hasn’t hit for any power, so you can expect his numbers will normalize.    Perhaps he’ll have his best year, but I wouldn’t get too excited about his early performance.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I had a good discussion with Luke in the ex-Orioles thread in the MLB forum.   Flaherty’s BABIP is crazy high, and his xwOBA (expected wOBA based on quality of contact) is well above his wOBA.    So, there’s a lot of evidence he’s been lucky, and he hasn’t hit for any power, so you can expect his numbers will normalize.    Perhaps he’ll have his best year, but I wouldn’t get too excited about his early performance.

Nor would I. 

I don't mind that the Orioles did not bring back Flaherty. But when Trumbo comes back you will have three DH's on the team. Alvarez,Trumbo and Valencia. The Orioles middle infield backups they have are barely Triple A guys. The Orioles needed to fill Flaherty's role with a decent backup middle infielder who also might be able to play the outfield if needed. They did not get that player.