Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Former O’s prospect Rylan Bannon was called up by the Braves (who claimed him from the Dodgers recently) to take the spot of Ozzie Albies, who’s out with a broken finger.  

Poor Albies, broke his finger in his very first game back from over 2 months on the IL.

55 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I didn't realize Jonathan Schoop was having such a poor season with a .551 OPS with only 17 walks and 101 strikeouts in 447 at bats. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/schoojo01.shtml

But, the silver lining of that dark cloud is he's having the best defensive season of his career according to FanGraphs, and the best of any player in the MLB. So that's something!

FanGraphs Defensive Ratings

17 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Richard Bleier had an impressive game, and not in the good way. Three balks in the same AT BAT. 

Seems ridiculous to me.  But then again, I’ve never understood how umps decide what is a balk and what isn’t.  I doubt Bleier did anything different for this hitter than he’s done for the last 7 balkless years with runners on base.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seems ridiculous to me.  But then again, I’ve never understood how umps decide what is a balk and what isn’t.  I doubt Bleier did anything different for this hitter than he’s done for the last 7 balkless years with runners on base.  

I'm too lazy to look it up who was umping at first now, but you can hear the first base ump screaming and it sounds like he's making a point to Bleier, as if he has a previous problem with him, and given how sarcastic Bleier seems to be from some of the clips I've seen of him maybe the ump took a past comment the wrong way and was being petty.

That being said, the comment from Buck in the article makes me think Buck might have put something in the ump's ear before the series about "hey, aren't we supposed to come to a complete stop with our hands now? just checking the rules to make sure my guys are good." Maybe Buck isn't that nefarious, but he is rule-obsessed and a serious long-term strategist. 

5 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

the comment from Buck in the article makes me think Buck might have put something in the ump's ear before the series about "hey, aren't we supposed to come to a complete stop with our hands now? just checking the rules to make sure my guys are good." Maybe Buck isn't that nefarious, but he is rule-obsessed and a serious long-term strategist. 

Seems highly likely.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 12:56 PM, Ohfan67 said:

Christian Walker produced 5.1 WAR for the Diamondbacks and ranked as one of the best values at 1B in the majors this year. That's pretty mind blowing to me. 

He's had a nice little career with the Diamondbacks. Nice environment to hit though.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He's had a nice little career with the Diamondbacks. Nice environment to hit though.

He may end up having a better career than Trey Mancini.  He’s a year older but has less time in the majors.   Trey leads him by 0.5 rWAR, in about 900 more PA.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He may end up having a better career than Trey Mancini.  He’s a year older but has less time in the majors.   Trey leads him by 0.5 rWAR, in about 900 more PA.

Pretty surprising. Christian’s 2022 accounts for a lot of his value, so it will be interesting to see if this year was an outlier for him.