Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

4 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Trey has been sitting last two games .. not sure why given start he had 

I saw a tweet earlier today that had quotes from Dusty Baker.  Basically said he needs Yuli Gurriel at first base because he is the "gold glove" and that he won't play Trey in the OF if they have a fly ball pitcher starting.  I'll see if I can dig up the exact quotes, but the general tone was that he had no intention of playing Trey much in the field. 

Yuli has a -0.9 dWAR this season and is -5 in OAA (good for 5th percentile) to go along with his .658 OPS, so I think Dusty is more than a little misguided here. 

On 8/9/2022 at 4:54 PM, SteveA said:

Dodgers sign Jahmai Jones to a 2 year minor league deal.   So they have picked up Jones and Bannon in the last couple days, both of whom started the season in Norfolk.

Rylan Bannon? Holy Sh&t. I mean, he's been with us for like forever. I just saw him play for the Tides Sunday, I thought. 

Dodgers originally drafted him. 

Kinda stunned, though I know it makes perfect sense to have weeded him out to make room for all the new guys from drafts and trades. But wow. 

38 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I saw a tweet earlier today that had quotes from Dusty Baker.  Basically said he needs Yuli Gurriel at first base because he is the "gold glove" and that he won't play Trey in the OF if they have a fly ball pitcher starting.  I'll see if I can dig up the exact quotes, but the general tone was that he had no intention of playing Trey much in the field. 

Yuli has a -0.9 dWAR this season and is -5 in OAA (good for 5th percentile) to go along with his .658 OPS, so I think Dusty is more than a little misguided here. 

Already becoming a controversy in Houston ..

https://www.papercitymag.com/culture/trey-mancini-needs-start-everyday-astros-dusty-baker-lineup-gurriel/?amp

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

Nelson Cruz just singled vs the Padres at Nats Park for the 2000th hit of his career.

Pretty cool. At some point last season before he got traded to the Rays I thought he might just have an outside chance at making 500 HRs (he's currently at 457), but it's looking like he's running out of steam in the race against Father Time unfortunately. 

On another note, it's pretty amazing how a cast-off FA signing who only played here for one season is remembered so fondly by a fan base (me being one of those who thinks as such as well). I guess he was kind of the spirit animal of taking the division that season.

A guy we don’t talk about much in this thread is Christian Walker.  He’s having a really good season (3.5 rWAR to date) and has had a solid career with Arizona after being DFA by the O’s.  He’s not quite as good as Trey Mancini (which is one of the reasons we let him go), but he’s had a decent career and it’s too bad we didn’t get anything for him. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A guy we don’t talk about much in this thread is Christian Walker.  He’s having a really good season (3.5 rWAR to date) and has had a solid career with Arizona after being DFA by the O’s.  He’s not quite as good as Trey Mancini (which is one of the reasons we let him go), but he’s had a decent career and it’s too bad we didn’t get anything for him. 

Wow! Thanks for sharing. That's definitely a name I haven't seen or thought of in years. I am shocked he's still in baseball. Good for him. 

21 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Pretty cool. At some point last season before he got traded to the Rays I thought he might just have an outside chance at making 500 HRs (he's currently at 457), but it's looking like he's running out of steam in the race against Father Time unfortunately. 

On another note, it's pretty amazing how a cast-off FA signing who only played here for one season is remembered so fondly by a fan base (me being one of those who thinks as such as well). I guess he was kind of the spirit animal of taking the division that season.

A typical player, even one with a substantial career, probably has 80% of their value in their 20s. So far Cruz is sitting at 18%.

May not be unprecedented, but definitely unusual. Especially if you don't include players who couldn't play much in their 20s due to wars, segregation, being in Japan, the majors not existing yet, etc.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

2012 was a rough draft for us, and the only players who produced any value were traded away before they accrued any of it with the Orioles (other than Gausman who was the 4th overall pick that year). I'm not sure if that's more an indictment on that year's draft or our player development system at the time...or if it was just bad luck overall. Just thought it was interesting to look back on it as it's somehow been a decade since it happened. 

On 8/15/2022 at 11:48 AM, CharmCityHokie said:

2012 was a rough draft for us, and the only players who produced any value were traded away before they accrued any of it with the Orioles (other than Gausman who was the 4th overall pick that year). I'm not sure if that's more an indictment on that year's draft or our player development system at the time...or if it was just bad luck overall. Just thought it was interesting to look back on it as it's somehow been a decade since it happened. 

I would not say it was a rough draft at all, at 35 rWAR and counting.  That’s a very healthy total.  But like a lot of others, most of the value was received by other teams who acquired these players from us.