Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

14 hours ago, Brian88 said:

Former Orioles first rounder Brandon Snyder is now the bullpen catcher for the Nationals, caught that tonight when I switched over to the Nats game while the Orioles were at commercial.

That's interesting, and makes some sense, he did grow up and went to high school in Fairfax County, so it's close to home if he still has family here.

He went full Crash Davis his last few years in AAA (most of which were with the Nats), just hitting homeruns like he never had before. Glad he got to find something to keep him in the game he clearly loves.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/snydebr03.shtml

On 7/16/2022 at 10:03 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Little Yaz with the walk off Grand Slam!

On 7/16/2022 at 10:49 AM, SteveA said:

off Josh Hader

Was just looking at Hader’s game log. He had a 1.05 ERA  through July 3.   Since then, he’s allowed 12 ER in 4.1 IP over 6 outings, including 9 ER his last two times out.  Hope he’s not hurt.   

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Was just looking at Hader’s game log. He had a 1.05 ERA  through July 3.   Since then, he’s allowed 12 ER in 4.1 IP over 6 outings, including 9 ER his last two times out.  Hope he’s not hurt.   

Maybe he is trying not to get traded.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:35 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I will admit, I saw flashes from Phillips but damn he was inconsistent with the Orioles. it really is amazing how the Rays then the Dodgers have gotten the most out of him. He has to be a bit of a development failure for the Elias regime since he was DFA's over several other pitchers who never made it. 

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I will admit, I saw flashes from Phillips but damn he was inconsistent with the Orioles. it really is amazing how the Rays then the Dodgers have gotten the most out of him. He has to be a bit of a development failure for the Elias regime since he was DFA's over several other pitchers who never made it. 

This got me to thinking about the several threads last year lamenting that we DFA’d Josh Rogers.  He’s currently sporting a 5.38 ERA, spent some time on the IL and is now completing a rehab assignment that it due to end in a few days.   

On 6/27/2022 at 8:26 PM, Just Regular said:

Red Sox home town booth just talked through Caleb Joseph's recent comments on Kevin Gausman and "how we used him wrong".

I'd seen that Caleb outtake without the whole story.    The booth told it like the Orioles of the Gausman-Joseph era were prescriptive about wanting him to work fastball down and only use the split after 2 strikes.

Obviously these days he's found more success with fastballs up and the wicked split more.

Interpreting, could that have been a hidden tax of the Machado-Hardy-Britton-Buck brilliant infield defense of those years?

https://pressboxonline.com/2022/06/22/former-orioles-c-caleb-joseph-we-had-everything-wrong-with-kevin-gausman/

Really interesting to hear from Caleb on how poorly they tried to use him. the one thing that's clear with Elias' regime, they are using analytics to get guys to go with their strengths or develop a pitch that will be better used with their repertoire. Kremer, Akin and Watkins are pretty good examples. 

Just now, Frobby said:

This got me to thinking about the several threads last year lamenting that we DFA’d Josh Rogers.  He’s currently sporting a 5.38 ERA, spent some time on the IL and is now completing a rehab assignment that it due to end in a few days.   

Well, lamenting him being released in a year when they were looking for any arms was a failure for the regime. They ended up using non-major league pitchers when they could have had him. When you looked at Rogers statcast info, his stuff with better than Lowther and Wells, and even better than Zimmermann is some areas.

So it was strange release. Of course that 5.38 ERA is a better ERA than what Zimmermann did this year before being sent to the minors. 

Dwight Smith Sr. who played for the Orioles in 1995 has passed away. His son Smith Jr. played for the Orioles in 2019-20. Rest in peace. 

Dwight Smith Passes Away

Former major league outfielder Dwight Smith has passed away, according to an announcement from the Braves. He was 58 years old.

“We are saddened by the passing earlier today of Dwight Smith, an integral member of our 1995 World Series Championship team,” the Braves said in a statement. “The 1989 NL Rookie of the Year runner up, Dwight enjoyed an eight-year major league career that included two postseason trips with the Cubs and Braves. Dwight was also a beloved alumni member, and his infectious smile will be missed around Truist Park. Our deepest condolences to his wife Cheryl, daughters Taylor and Shannyn, and son, Dwight, Jr.”

On 7/22/2022 at 11:46 AM, Frobby said:

Actually, what a few said, including me (and Tony I believe) is that he was coming off major injury and to see him released so soon was puzzling at best. Likely, not going to be an AS but what’s the harm in giving him more time when there weren’t many better options at the time. But I know you love to poke at me when you have insulted Mateo’s value time after time despite obvious huge upside/potential. 

But hey, please continue mischaracterizing what people say and ignore your bad takes. 

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Actually, what a few said, including me (and Tony I believe) is that he was coming off major injury and to see him released so soon was puzzling at best. Likely, not going to be an AS but what’s the harm in giving him more time when there weren’t many better options at the time. But I know you love to poke at me when you have insulted Mateo’s value time after time despite obvious huge upside/potential. 

But hey, please continue mischaracterizing what people say and ignore your bad takes. 

I didn’t mischaractetize anything, nor did I mention you.   You seem intent on picking fights with me but I’m not going to bite.