Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

Just enjoyed watching the tight contest btw Minn and ChiSox after tonight's 5-2 Oriole victory over Oak, to see if we could put a little more distance in front of the Twins. Lo and behold, after a game-tying Chicago HR in the 8th, our friend Jorge Lopez proceeds to lose the game for Minn in the 9th in dramatic fashion... Loading the bases with two hits and a hit batter, then a deflected grounder for the score... and deliciously pummeling the turf with his pitching hand after the loss. :)

Edited by now

On 8/11/2022 at 2:40 PM, tntoriole said:

Cool article. Here's the money quote for me, the Westworld reference: :)

"This isn’t the plot of Westworld. It’s rather easy to figure out. For these Astros to be at their best, Trey Mancini needs to play a lot."

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, now said:

Just enjoyed watching the tight contest btw Minn and ChiSox after tonight's 5-2 Oriole victory over Oak, to see if we could put a little more distance in front of the Twins. Lo and behold, after a game-tying Chicago HR in the 8th, our friend Jorge Lopez proceeds to lose the game for Minn in the 9th in dramatic fashion... Loading the bases with two hits and a hit batter, then a deflected grounder for the score... and deliciously pummeling the turf with his pitching hand after the loss. :)

Jorge had a very nice string of six scoreless one-inning appearances, notching 3 saves leading up to last night. But he got himself into trouble hitting Vaughn, the two teams jostled each other near the mound, and then he and the Twins got rattled and lost it on a weak ground ball after yet another HBP was reversed. Tumultuous ending and Lopez didn't handle it well. But I'm sure he'll regain his composure.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Jorge had a very nice string of six scoreless one-inning appearances, notching 3 saves leading up to last night. But he got himself into trouble hitting Vaughn, the two teams jostled each other near the mound, and then he and the Twins got rattled and lost it on a weak ground ball after yet another HBP was reversed. Tumultuous ending and Lopez didn't handle it well. But I'm sure he'll regain his composure.

Sure he's still good but having those 2 blown saves in 8(?) chances with Minn is ugly.  Wasn't it the Twins we were playing when Lopez blew two in a row? Now they have him... ironic. 

I was looking up defensive ratings of some Orioles players on FanGraphs and where they fall among other MLB players and guess who currently sits atop their leaderboard for Defensive Runs above average? Old friend Jonathan Schoop. Schoop is rated as 18.9 DEF runs above average, which is about the only thing he can hang his hat on as he's currently rocking a 54 wRC+ (which is nearly 25 points lower than Odor for comparison sake) and -22.7 runs above average, but due to his sterling defensive year he's still accumulated 1.1 fWAR. Pretty much the mirror image of his season last year where he was above average offensively and below average defensively. 

11 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Nice find. I wonder what the Atlantic League pay is compared to AAA, especially now with the increase in salary and coverage of housing. I assume with contraction and increased payrolls that more and more guys like Jarrett will get squeezed out of affiliated ball while in the past a guy who could play all three outfield positions who had some pop and speed could linger for years. 

20 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Mike Yastrzemski seems to have come back to earth, hitting only .153 since the All Star break and now just .205 on the year with only 12 HRs.  I wonder what happens to him next year?

The entire Giant team came back to earth.   When all is said and done they might have a 30 game dropoff.   We finished 55 games behind them last year and we may finish 10 games ahead of them this year!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1