Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Haha alright fair enough. Although it being pitcher friendly doesn't seem to help us win many games there. For some reason I thought the facility was not great, also, so look - it wouldn't be the first time I'm talking out of my butt and it won't be the last! 

It's a very nice ballpark.  Kind of halfway between what you get in Bowie/Frederick/Blue Crabs and a MLB park.  Probably seats 15,000.  Decent food, good seats everywhere.  Easy to get in and out of.

And weighing the impact of an 80 park factor is the first week of SABR 101.  

You know what would be fun?  Having Norfolk be an affiliate of the Rockies.  A .750 OPS in Norfolk would probably be an .825 in Colorado.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The best and worst story of the '86 Mets was how Gooden missed the ticker-tape victory parade in NYC because he was passed out in a drug dealer's apartment.  Or was that Strawberry?  

In 1986 Coke was not just a soft drink.  Len Bias died in June of '86.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I think when you're posting that someone is hitting .400 you're obligated to mention it's in 12 PAs.  Ryan Minor once had a major league season where he hit .429.

OK, 10 AB. We gave him 3 AB in the majors before dumping him...

42 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's a very nice ballpark.  Kind of halfway between what you get in Bowie/Frederick/Blue Crabs and a MLB park.  Probably seats 15,000.  Decent food, good seats everywhere.  Easy to get in and out of.

And weighing the impact of an 80 park factor is the first week of SABR 101.  

You know what would be fun?  Having Norfolk be an affiliate of the Rockies.  A .750 OPS in Norfolk would probably be an .825 in Colorado.

Sure.

But I'd like to see some data on whether or not guys who struggle to hit at Norfolk get into more bad habits in an effort to produce more. How frustrated do they become? Why don't our pitchers really succeed there? How does struggling to hit due to the ballpark affect development? I don't know. It probably doesn't, really, just something I thought of. I understand it's easy to add a few OPS points to the actual results due to ballpark factors, but does the story just end there? I'm not sure. 

40 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure.

But I'd like to see some data on whether or not guys who struggle to hit at Norfolk get into more bad habits in an effort to produce more. How frustrated do they become? Why don't our pitchers really succeed there? How does struggling to hit due to the ballpark affect development? I don't know. It probably doesn't, really, just something I thought of. I understand it's easy to add a few OPS points to the actual results due to ballpark factors, but does the story just end there? I'm not sure. 

My opinion, no data, is that Larry Bigbie was severely hurt.  He kept trying to show he was a power hitter and failing at Norfolk.  I wonder if it led to his steroid use.

3 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

My opinion, no data, is that Larry Bigbie was severely hurt.  He kept trying to show he was a power hitter and failing at Norfolk.  I wonder if it led to his steroid use.

Right. I'm sure it's a nice park, but at the end of the day it would be cool to have a ballpark that accurately shows you what your prospects are really doing. WE might know the data says one thing, but for the player grinding down there, it's not fun. And player experience/morale is important. Just freakin' move the walls in, man! 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Right. I'm sure it's a nice park, but at the end of the day it would be cool to have a ballpark that accurately shows you what your prospects are really doing. WE might know the data says one thing, but for the player grinding down there, it's not fun. And player experience/morale is important. Just freakin' move the walls in, man! 

I think our previous lack of data and analysts types may make that difference more pronounced and more detrimental than going forward.  I get the sense, the guys collecting data today know what they are looking for and how to use it.  I could be wrong, but I think the park will matter less and less.