Perez on the Jan. 2021 international class and other stuff

Frobby

One gets the feeling our system is about two or three years away from having five to eight international guys in the top 30 - likely all from the names mentioned by Perez or our bigger $ signings coming up.  Which one will be the first to crack our organizational top 10? 

All this will be a big boost to our system.  This international build-out is taking place at a snail's pace (in terms of getting the prospects through the system), but we can take solace in the fact that the ownership commitment and front office competence internationally is in place and getting to work.

• Upvote 3

I kind of like the fact that the signing date has been pushed back to Jan. 15, maybe permanently.    It’s something interesting to look forward to in the dead of winter now.    One thing that isn’t clear is whether the age cutoff is changing (i.e., the date by which the player must turn 16 in order to be signed).    I’m assuming it hasn’t changed because otherwise this year there would be seven months worth of players that teams would have no money to sign, having already committed their money to the guys turning 16 before J2.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, hoosiers said:

One gets the feeling our system is about two or three years away from having five to eight international guys in the top 30 - likely all from the names mentioned by Perez or our bigger $ signings coming up.  Which one will be the first to crack our organizational top 10? 

All this will be a big boost to our system.  This international build-out is taking place at a snail's pace (in terms of getting the prospects through the system), but we can take solace in the fact that the ownership commitment and front office competence internationally is in place and getting to work.

Nice post. I feel like we already have 1-3 of those top 30 guys, but don't know it yet. 5 to 8 is reasonable, and may be on the low end in the future.

I know this is happening at a snail's pace, but it's also what we were told to expect. It's kind of eye opening for me. Fixing a baseball org is like turning a cruise ship. I feel like we're well on the way, to be honest. 

19 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Nice post. I feel like we already have 1-3 of those top 30 guys, but don't know it yet. 5 to 8 is reasonable, and may be on the low end in the future.

Considering that almost 30% of major leaguers are former foreign amateurs, I’d guess 9 in the top 30 is about average for most teams.  

From my very novice understanding of this process, I guess the snails pace piece is building the infrastructure and relationships internationally. One would hope (expect) after a couple years of consistent allocation of resources both fiscally and physically, then the dam would break as far as the rewards.  

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2020 at 12:38 PM, LookinUp said:

I know this is happening at a snail's pace, but it's also what we were told to expect. It's kind of eye opening for me. Fixing a baseball org is like turning a cruise ship. I feel like we're well on the way, to be honest. 

Well Diaz and Ortiz are currently in our top 30. My problem with putting 20 year olds in the top30 is they create an illusion of having a stronger system but the players are so far away and such a small hit chance on that they are really irrelevant. Rule 5 eligible players like Kevin Maitan (Angels) and Lazaro Armenteros (Athletics) are  highly ranked guys in their respective systems and now still no where close to being major league ready. 

Here is the rule 5 eligible lists for the Angels and Athletics

Los Angeles Angels
Packy Naughton, LHP
Jose Soriano, RHP
Oliver Ortega, RHP
Livan Soto, SS
Orlando Martinez, OF
Kevin Maitan, IF
Leonardo Rivas, SS

Oakland Athletics
Jordan Diaz, 3B
Lazaro Armenteros, OF