Yankees Possibly Interested In Iglesias

LTO's

The Yankees are rich with international signings that could blow up or fizzle out.

I mentioned one..good SS prospect..paid 2.5M a few years ago.  Could end up nothing or could end up Wander Franco.  Just never know.

Those types of players for a guy like Iglesias is fine.  In the deal I mentioned, I got one of those and a pitcher who is close to ML ready.  Nothing wrong with a return like that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

If you get a good deal, you have to take it, but it would need to be a really good one and I'm not sure the Yankees would offer that up if they're eyeing him for a utility role rather than an everyday player.

Why would it have to be a really good deal?

Not as if he's going to be the difference in the team making the playoffs next year.  He isn't signed past next season.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would it have to be a really good deal?

Not as if he's going to be the difference in the team making the playoffs next year.  He isn't signed past next season.

Because I the idea of a good, veteran defensive SS anchoring the infield while we--hopefully--feature a very young pitching staff next year getting their feet wet at the Major League level. I am not a fan of Velazquez and am skeptical about Martin. I guess you could sign someone like Hechavarria, but it's going to be hard to find a good defensive shortstop that is not completely useless at the plate for the cost of Iglesias (and we certainly aren't going to pay any more than that for someone for next year, nor should we). 

With the young pitching, I want to give them as much as possible to succeed. To me, that means good defense up the middle and at least some offense. I don't want them always expecting to have to be nearly perfect to have a chance of getting their team a win. Having some wiggle room from time-to-time, in my estimation, is helpful. Of course, I don't have data to back that up, but that's my thought.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Because I the idea of a good, veteran defensive SS anchoring the infield while we--hopefully--feature a very young pitching staff next year getting their feet wet at the Major League level. I am not a fan of Velazquez and am skeptical about Martin. I guess you could sign someone like Hechavarria, but it's going to be hard to find a good defensive shortstop that is not completely useless at the plate for the cost of Iglesias (and we certainly aren't going to pay any more than that for someone for next year, nor should we). 

With the young pitching, I want to give them as much as possible to succeed. To me, that means good defense up the middle and at least some offense. I don't want them always expecting to have to be nearly perfect to have a chance of getting their team a win. Having some wiggle room from time-to-time, in my estimation, is helpful. Of course, I don't have data to back that up, but that's my thought.

I disagree that he's so important that a team would have to overpay for him to be dealt.  He's still pretty much the same guy the O's got on the cheap last year.

Anyway, bad defense encourages the pitchers to strike batters out!

These are more fun if you project 90th+ percentiles for all the good players and don't try to brute force it buying wins at $10M/pop.

All's we need is another 16-team field, Grayson is Jose Fernandez, Means is Cliff Lee, Adley is Posey, etc.  Beat the Twins in the 1st round and get on a roll.

Ye olde Bauer/LeMahieu rentals can't add value anything like that.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

These are more fun if you project 90th+ percentiles for all the good players and don't try to brute force it buying wins at $10M/pop.

All's we need is another 16-team field, Grayson is Jose Fernandez, Means is Cliff Lee, Adley is Posey, etc.  Beat the Twins in the 1st round and get on a roll.

Ye olde Bauer/LeMahieu rentals can't add value anything like that.

So you're saying we have a chance... :D