#28 2020 Prospect: Adam Stauffer - RHP

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

These tall guys sometimes take a little longer to get coordinated which is why I'm surprised the ceiling is only 4th or 5th starter.   He shows a 92-95 fastball but doesn't hold it.   He has the potential for a good curve, it sounds like, and he flashes a good changeup.     It's a longshot like they all are but it sure sounds to me like there might be a little higher ceiling there.   Just saying.

Every year I have to remind myself that ceiling isn't really the absolute best we can hope for if everything goes as good as it can. It's more like the 90% probability. What this guy would be if he gets as good as he can without really changing his fundamental profile (e.g., he starts throwing 100 and holds it for 5 innings, a la Baumann). 

For example, I think Yaz has eclipsed his ceiling. Nobody saw his game having this upside. In theory, just about everyone could do that, especially hitters who aren't in the AR category and pitchers who aren't Gray Rod and Hall. Practically, ceiling is trying to project what he could be if he can work through his control issues and develop that 3rd pitch.