What are your expectations for Santander and Hays in 2021?

Frobby

Just now, Sports Guy said:

We shouldn’t be paying for it.  The Davis contract doesn’t prevent this team from doing anything.  

It prevents the team from being more profitable...

And HOPEFULLY it prevents them from being rash in the future.

And Davis isn't the only costly FA mistake this team has made.

We paid upper tier dollars for lower tier arms a few times in the last decade. It adds up

6 minutes ago, owknows said:

It prevents the team from being more profitable...

And HOPEFULLY it prevents them from being rash in the future.

And Davis isn't the only costly FA mistake this team has made.

We paid upper tier dollars for lower tier arms a few times in the last decade. It adds up

They make plenty of money.

This team had a 160M payroll not long ago.  Roughly 100m less than it will be in 2021.

Dont buy into their “poor me” attitude.  They have a boatload of money and can spend more if they want.

One or even 2 bad contracts does not stop this organization from doing anything...but it does give them an excuse they sell to the fan base who are sheep and believe what they are told.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They make plenty of money.

This team had a 160M payroll not long ago.  Roughly 100m less than it will be in 2021.

Dont buy into their “poor me” attitude.  They have a boatload of money and can spend more if they want.

One or even 2 bad contracts does not stop this organization from doing anything...but it does give them an excuse they sell to the fan base who are sheep and believe what they are told.

I enjoy talking with you...

But I'm not sure I want you for a business partner. ?

Just now, owknows said:

I enjoy talking with you...

But I'm not sure I want you for a business partner. ?

I’m all for people making as much money as possible...but a sports franchise is different any other business.

Yes, you want to make money (and the Os are making a lot of it) but winning should be your #1 priority.  It’s not for the Angelos family.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m all for people making as much money as possible...but a sports franchise is different any other business.

Yes, you want to make money (and the Os are making a lot of it) but winning should be your #1 priority.  It’s not for the Angelos family.

I don't think it our place to tell someone what their priorities should be. 

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think Hays or Santander are keys to anything.  They are role players.  They aren’t the guys you want to make up your core.

Who do you consider to be the core players from the 2012-16 teams?    I’m trying to understand your definition of “core.”

I think the Angelos family was every bit as interested in winning as any other family.

Maybe too interested.

Maybe unable to resist the urge to try to make it happen themselves.

Since 2015 alone, the owners spent 359 million dollars on Davis, Cobb, Jimenez, Trumbo, Gallardo, Cashner, and Weiters

Maybe the owners should try a little less

23 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think the Angelos family was every bit as interested in winning as any other family.

Maybe too interested.

Maybe unable to resist the urge to try to make it happen themselves.

Since 2015 alone, the owners spent 359 million dollars on Davis, Cobb, Jimenez, Trumbo, Gallardo, Cashner, and Weiters

Maybe the owners should try a little less

I think you are fooling yourself if you actually believe that.

And stupidity is a consistent trait in how they ran things forever.  Being dumb doesn’t mean you are trying too hard.  

I think you are fooling yourself if you actually believe that.

And stupidity is a consistent trait in how they ran things forever.  Being dumb doesn’t mean you are trying too hard.  

I'm pretty comfortable with my view of the world.

You obviously have some kind of personal score to settle with the Angelos family.

Whichever of them took your lunch money, I'm sure he's sorry.

But that notwithstanding, the family coughed up 359 million dollars for just these 7 FA's since 2015

That's more than the overwhelming majority of clubs.

Sorry but your "they weren't trying to win" assertion doesn't really fit the circumstances.

They tried. And failed.

10 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'm pretty comfortable with my view of the world.

You obviously have some kind of personal score to settle with the Angelos family.

Whichever of them took your lunch money, I'm sure he's sorry.

But that notwithstanding, the family coughed up 359 million dollars for just these 7 FA's since 2015

That's more than the overwhelming majority of clubs.

Sorry but your "they weren't trying to win" assertion doesn't really fit the circumstances.

They tried. And failed.

Every Os fan should have an issue with the Angelos family.  They ran this organization into the ground for 15 years and until recently, showed no regard for the Intl market, player development, scouting, etc...

And now that they are doing that, they are cheaping out in a big way only under the disguise of rebuilding because the fans buy into it.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So pick one.    Let’s use the best team, from 2014.    Who meets your definition of “core” to that team?

The team was a Little unique because of the greatness of the pen and the defense.  They had basically 3 4 WAR offensive players but WAR doesn’t properly rate relievers imo.  

But as good as that team was over a full season, the lack of elite talent is why they didn’t win a title imo.  They didn’t have the offensive talent to win against the best of the best.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Every Os fan should have an issue with the Angelos family.  They ran this organization into the ground for 5 years and until recently, showed no regard for the Intl market, player development, scouting, etc...

And now that they are doing that, that are cheaping out in a big way only under the disguise of rebuilding because the fans buy into it.

We see things differently.

I see guys who didn't have very good baseball minds who tried to take way too active a hand in personnel decisions.

Guys who made emotional rather than baseball decisions.

Guys who were homers.

Guys who pissed away 359 million bucks on arguably the worst 7 FA decisions that could have been made.

But to say it was because they didn't want to win and just wanted to enrich themselves is silly. If that was the case they'd have simply pocketed the coin.

Are they cheaping out now?  Hell yeah. Best thing they could possibly do.... For now.

Why spend money until it matters?