White Sox looking for a LH OFer

Sports Guy

I am not sure how high on the radar Santander is with teams but I have talked before about how he could be a good player to get for teams because of age, service time, salary and upside.  As it stands right now, he is a flawed but good player.  

I would probably say there is a 30ish% chance his value is higher next year.  That number would be much higher if you guaranteed me that he would be healthy this year.  

I would like to see the Os shop him.  They don’t have to trade him but shopping him should happen and a team like the WS, who are good enough to win now and have a deep farm system, could be a team to go after.  

• Upvote 1

They’ve got Moncada at 3B now so that leaves Jake Burger dispensable. He’s had a lot of injuries but I’ve read good things about him. If they’d do something like Stewart and Armstrong (or another RP) and then let Ruiz, Burger, Valaika, and maybe a rule 5 3B all battle it out and see what happens. Not a sexy suggestion nor do I have any reason to believe Burger is on the table (pun intended) but DJ Stewart has no place in Baltimore and he’s at least got some 1st round pedigree and hasn’t completely soiled himself in his short time in MLB so maybe they’d do it?

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I doubt they would want Stewart.  

I think you’re probably right but Burger hasn’t played since 2017 due to injuries so it’s like giving away Stewart for a lottery ticket. And I don’t think Santander has established himself enough to be worth what little I would expect teams to offer for him. Maybe next off season if he has another good year. 

Over at South Side Sox, the debate is whether 5 years of a high potential guy is worth one year of a good guy.

The trade itself wasn’t necessarily bad, but it strongly illustrates the “getting little bit now giving a lot later” conundrum.

Interesting debate.

HOWEVER, if the white Sox really wanna go for it, let’s see if we can give them somebody to replace Nomar Mazara. Giving them Stewart is certainly an option.

30 minutes ago, oriole said:

I think you’re probably right but Burger hasn’t played since 2017 due to injuries so it’s like giving away Stewart for a lottery ticket. And I don’t think Santander has established himself enough to be worth what little I would expect teams to offer for him. Maybe next off season if he has another good year. 

It’s too early to trade Santander, even if he’s in demand. He’ll be at peak value next June, if he keeps his upward progression going.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

It’s too early to trade Santander, even if he’s in demand. He’ll be at peak value next June, if he keeps his upward progression going.

And if he doesn’t?

I’m in no hurry to trade him, but if the right offer came along I’d certainly listen.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And if he doesn’t?

I’m in no hurry to trade him, but if the right offer came along I’d certainly listen.   

Well, of course, but you’d have to define “the right offer” and right now the offers would be based on what he is, and “the right offer” would have to be based on 80-90% of his max potential being reached.

Therefore I think it is unwise to trade him at this time, although sure, listen to offer to see what people have to say. The best thing to do at a time like this in a player’s development is to sow the seeds of desire, And we should definitely be doing that.

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

This is wrong.  It’s never too early to trade a player if a good deal is there.

It just depends on what that player is worth to you and if you rate the player properly.  

Also, with his injury history, nothing is guaranteed when it comes to his potential value.

And btw, traditionally position players fetch more in the offseason than they do at the deadline.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And if he doesn’t?

I guess the “right offer” is subjective but I just don’t think anyone would offer enough at this point. I’d be asking for at least one prospect from a clubs top ten and then at least a couple other low level guys in addition. I don’t think anyone’s giving that up this year but if Santander has another year like he did last year then I think clubs will be sold that a former rule 5 pick did not simply have an outlier year and maybe they’ll give up something tangible in terms of realistic expectations. 

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

I guess the “right offer” is subjective but I just don’t think anyone would offer enough at this point. I’d be asking for at least one prospect from a clubs top ten and then at least a couple other low level guys in addition. I don’t think anyone’s giving that up this year but if Santander has another year like he did last year then I think clubs will be sold that a former rule 5 pick did not simply have an outlier year and maybe they’ll give up something tangible in terms of realistic expectations. 

See I think you can get that.  You aren’t likely to get a top guy but if you can get 2 guys in the 6-12 range, especially in a deep system, that’s a good return imo.

I wouldn’t trade him for those types of prospects in a poor system though.