Rule 5: Orioles Select Mac Sceroler, RHP (Reds) Nephew of Ben McDonald

weams

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The way my pessimistic mind works is that if a guy has four pitches with better than average control and he wasn't protected by his team his raw stuff is going to be poor.

Stop the presses.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-2020-rule-5-draft-scouting-reports/

Can you believe Longenhagen's three lines mention "strong carry" but not hard?

On Wells, I found it noteworthy his release point consistency was praised as a slightly rare trick from the Large Human shelf.  I think I might like it better upside-wise if he didn't already have that arrow in his quiver, but imagine that attribute helped make him the pick.

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Totally fair.   I do think the minor leaguers reflected a ton of improvement in 2019 though.   The early returns are good.   

I do think Elias has views on what kinds of pitchers he wants, and it’s possible Pop didn’t fit that mold.  

Elias is starting to sound like a guy who only wants a certain kind of pitcher.  You should never fall in love with a type imo.

And sure, we saw some strides in 2019..but that doesn’t mean much to me until we see it over a far larger sample size and in the majors.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias is starting to sound like a guy who only wants a certain kind of pitcher.  You should never fall in love with a type imo.

And sure, we saw some strides in 2019..but that doesn’t mean much to me until we see it over a far larger sample size and in the majors.

That can only come with time.    But the start looks good.   

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Hopefully the O's win some kind of award for developing the most back of the rotation starting pitchers, because it seems like their prime goal is to accumulate as many as possible.

But there are only 2 TOR prospects in the whole O's farm system ....Rodriguez and DL Hall.  Heaven help the O's if one of them does not develop.   Its Elias biggest hole.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

But there are only 2 TOR prospects in the whole O's farm system ....Rodriguez and DL Hall.  Heaven help the O's if one of them does not develop.   Its Elias biggest hole.

True TORs are not easy to find and develop. I personally don't see Hall as a potential TOR because of his control issues. Right now, Elias has been acquiring a stable of decent arms that he hopes will bear some fruit.

He has drafted mainly hitters in his first ten rounds, but has been trading mostly for pitchers, including three that have never pitched professionally (like extra draft picks.)

Now the good news is we can assume that he has metrics like spin rates and such on these guys and that's why he's been targeting them. It remains to be seen whether that will pay off or not.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Baumann doesn't have true a TOR profile, but if healthy and getting close to his ceiling his power stuff will be really nice to have. There are also rumors about international guys, but to us they're just rumors until we actually see anything. The O's have a better idea for sure (not saying any TOR exist down there either).

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Regarding TOR pitchers: I’d be very happy with five #3s. Don’t care if we don’t have a #1.

Cole, Strasburg, Buehler and others show how valuable a lock down starter still is when it matters. 

#3's might get us into the playoffs, but to be the best, you have to beat the best. 

woooooooooooo!

20 hours ago, weams said:

I saw Pop in AA before he went down. He was good. Threw hard.

I agree with the sentiment of hating to lose Pop, but he is an unknown as to where he is at this time. I think Fenter is likely coming back. The thing is, we fans do not know much about what these guys have been doing for the past 9 months. Elias and his staff do. It may end up being the wrong call, like Yaz, but they will own it and move on. No front office gets all decisions correct. And we have yet to see the effects of what Elias is doing with his youthful player acquisitions. A year or two from now, we all may say there is enough evidence to make conclusions either way. For now, I do tend to trust their moves until there is concrete evidence to the contrary. If they stink, I’ll break out the pitchfork and join some of those who are critical. 

• Upvote 2