Trade Bait 2021

ScGO's

I think Means is probably the most valuable player on this list and would be hesitant to trade any prospect for him. Prospects are just that, no guarantee they turn out to be good players, which is what Means already is. Rest of this list is meh. Not alot of impact trade material here. Other than Cobb, who im guessing will be dealt if a market ever develops for him.  

1.  Cobb -  Hard to talk about him without mentioning his contract and how it effects his trade value.

2. Mancini - Optimal time to trade him will be in July if he shows he is healthy and productive.   Some team may pay up for him with two pennant races remaining.

4, 5 and 9. -  Means, Santander and Scott.  I think we should remember that Elias is trying to build a winning team.  The O's may look to jump to being a winning team in 2022.  These three can be a part of that.   Elias would have to be blown away by offers to trade these three IMO.  I think that is unlikely in 2021.

11. Sanchez - Will be a FA after the season.  If someone offers a  good prospect for him he will be traded.

12. Lakins - How old do you think this guy is?  He is 26.

I would not call Means "trade bait" in the sense that we should be looking to move him. He has many years left of team control and could be a #2-#3 of a contending team. Sure we should listen to offers but you could say the same for Rutschman and Mountcastle. 

Guys I actually expect to see traded are Mancini and Cobb but both need to be healthy and productive. I am listening to offers on Santander but I am not in any rush to move him.

In his recent Zoom interview Elias said they were happy with the return on Iglesias and like that "model", so unknown FA is a strong possibility.

If Valdez continues to be good he could be a sneaky piece, but then again I might be greedy and tempted to keep him.

One important question that I think most of these articles miss is the consideration of how much an equivalent player would cost on the open market. Valaika, Sisco, possibly Severino, Stewart, Ruiz, are so close to replacement level that it’s doubtful that any team would give much beyond cash or a non-prospect Tyler Herb kind of guy for them. I’m actually unsure some of these guys will be around come April even if they aren’t traded.

1 hour ago, BirdinBama said:

Call me sentimental, but I would hate to trade Mancini after all he has been through. I know, everyone is available for the right offer...blah, blah, blah.

He won’t be treated now, and sentimentality has nothing to do with it. He just spent a year battling cancer, nobody’s going to trade anything for him. He’s a great success story. How many 491st draft picks do as well as he has

Valaika is coming off a season with a 791 OPS.  If he gets the at bats and puts up similar numbers he will probably be tradable  with a  prospect return by the trade deadline.

If Mancini puts up a 850 OPS or better at the deadline a contending team that needs an offensive boost will offer something good for him.  Contending teams always look for good players to get deep in the playoffs. Him being under team control for two pennant races adds to his value. Someone will take the risk that he will stay healthy for 15 months through the 2022 season.

Elias is still collecting talent for the 2022- 2028 seasons.

15 hours ago, wildcard said:

Valaika is coming off a season with a 791 OPS.  If he gets the at bats and puts up similar numbers he will probably be tradable  with a  prospect return by the trade deadline.

If Mancini puts up a 850 OPS or better at the deadline a contending team that needs an offensive boost will offer something good for him.  Contending teams always look for good players to get deep in the playoffs. Him being under team control for two pennant races adds to his value. Someone will take the risk that he will stay healthy for 15 months through the 2022 season.

Elias is still collecting talent for the 2022- 2028 seasons.

Valaika was also a team worse -6 in Outs above average playing primarily at 2B and SS, so im not sure what trade value he has with that kind of defense. My guess is very little trade value even if he has another .791 OPS season. 

I think Cobb and Severino should be shopped as heavily as possible at the deadline with the Orioles willing to eat as much of Cobb's salary as necessary. After all, you either keep him and pay him or you can trade him, get a prospect and pay him. If you're going to pay him anyway and the Orioles aren't going anywhere in 2021, it still makes sense to get prospect as long as the Orioles have at least someone to take the ball. If the O's can give those innings to Baumann, Lowther, Smith, Bradish, etc it's worth it.

As for Severino, if Rutschman does come up mid-season, Severino is redundant (or Sisco if you can move him easier).

Beyond that, however, I think any other move will yield little. I could see a relief arm or two go or maybe Sanchez, but I don't expect much back.