Cobb to Angels

Yardball85

Fangraphs's write-up of the deal:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/cobb-ballad-1362-words-on-the-angels-newest-starter/

For years, there’s been one refrain in Anaheim: get Mike Trout some pitching help. The last time an Angels pitcher accrued 4 or more WAR was Garrett Richards in 2014, and there’s been a carousel of arms in the half-decade since. Yesterday, the Angels wholly misunderstood that refrain, sending Jahmai Jones to Baltimore in exchange for professionally cromulent starter Alex Cobb.

Cobb, who is in the last year of a four-year, $57 million contract, reached free agency after years of quiet competence. In the three intervening years, he’s alternated between being competent or hurt. He gets to it in a strange way — few strikeouts, fewer walks, and enough grounders to blot out the sun — but it adds up to something a little worse than average but significantly better than replacement level.

Here’s the part I care about:

“To get Cobb rather than a free agent, the Angels sent Jahmai Jones to the Orioles. Jones, who we pegged as the Angels’ No. 11 prospect last year, is a speedy second baseman whose prodigious athletic talents have landed him on several Top 100 lists. Jones came up purely as a second baseman, but the Angels experimented with using him as an outfielder in spring training, which he took poorly to. When he returned to the minors, his bat fell off a bit as well; after scorching Low- and Hi-A in 2017, he’s been an average or worse hitter in two years of action at Hi-A and Double-A.

“Why is Eric still optimistic on Jones? His natural bat-to-ball skills remain excellent. Even in a down 2019, he made solid contact and frequently hit the ball with authority. He’s also a plus athlete with frequently-praised on-field makeup, two traits that help offset the disappointing hitting numbers of late. One thing that doesn’t bode well: Jones has become a chronic swing tinkerer. He’s altered pretty much everything at this point: hand position, initial load, leg kick, and stride. In his most recent game action, a cup of coffee in 2020, he showed his most conservative swing yet. Eric projects him as a bat-first infielder, one whose offensive contributions offset his middling defense, with the total package looking like a role player or utility infielder.”

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s the part I care about:

“To get Cobb rather than a free agent, the Angels sent Jahmai Jones to the Orioles. Jones, who we pegged as the Angels’ No. 11 prospect last year, is a speedy second baseman whose prodigious athletic talents have landed him on several Top 100 lists. Jones came up purely as a second baseman, but the Angels experimented with using him as an outfielder in spring training, which he took poorly to. When he returned to the minors, his bat fell off a bit as well; after scorching Low- and Hi-A in 2017, he’s been an average or worse hitter in two years of action at Hi-A and Double-A.

“Why is Eric still optimistic on Jones? His natural bat-to-ball skills remain excellent. Even in a down 2019, he made solid contact and frequently hit the ball with authority. He’s also a plus athlete with frequently-praised on-field makeup, two traits that help offset the disappointing hitting numbers of late. One thing that doesn’t bode well: Jones has become a chronic swing tinkerer. He’s altered pretty much everything at this point: hand position, initial load, leg kick, and stride. In his most recent game action, a cup of coffee in 2020, he showed his most conservative swing yet. Eric projects him as a bat-first infielder, one whose offensive contributions offset his middling defense, with the total package looking like a role player or utility infielder.”

I liked the link to the Seam-Shifted Revolution.

4 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

For one of our only 2 even remotely established SPs AND $10 million dollars, I would describe myself as whelmed by this trade :noidea: 

Well on the bright side, now we will get to see some value with Davis. I think he is now our #3 SP. ?

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Make no mistake, this is still a salary dump.

Jones isnt a prospect you pay 7.5+M for but at least he has some upside.  Something is better than nothing.

As I was saying...Jones isn’t a prospect you pay 10M for.  

This is a straight salary dump.  Perhaps we got a slightly better prospect because we included 10M instead of say, 5 million but you got a relatively mediocre prospect for $10M.    That’s a lot of money to pay.

OTOh, I’m sure the Os are looking at it from a glass half full size and are saying they save 5M by making this move and add an intriguing guy.  Nothing wrong with that.  Both statements are true.  

On 2/1/2021 at 11:51 AM, wildcard said:

My guess is the O's send 10m with Cobb and they get back a minor leaguer that fits 20--30 on the O's list and an international teenager.

Well it was $10M. 

They could have saved just as much if they dealt him at the deadline, in theory. Obviously they didn’t want to chance that and are going out of their way to save any money they can.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

As I was saying...Jones isn’t a prospect you pay 10M for.  

This is a straight salary dump.  Perhaps we got a slightly better prospect because we included 10M instead of say, 5 million but you got a relatively mediocre prospect for $10M.    That’s a lot of money to pay.

OTOh, I’m sure the Os are looking at it from a glass half full size and are saying they save 5M by making this move and add an intriguing guy.  Nothing wrong with that.  Both statements are true.  

I tend to see it as the later. I like the idea of getting a guy close to MLB ready and still with potential to get better. I never thought I'd type these words but I trust our PD department to get the most out of him. I wonder if this is a turning point in the type of prospects ME is looking at adding. Getting guys closer to MLB ready could be a sign that he thinks the O's are getting closer to changing gears in the rebuild. It could also be an aberration.  

• Upvote 3