33-year old knuckleballer Mickey Jannis

Frobby

Mickey Jannis will be competing for a spot in the Orioles rotation this spring, and that’s encouraging news for knuckleball fanatics. The 33-year-old right-hander is one of the few purveyors of that particular craft currently active in pro ball, and while the odds aren’t in his favor… well, you just never know. Hoyt Wilhelm turned 30 a few months into his rookie season, then went on to pitch for two decades and get inducted into the Hall of Fame. Those lofty heights are almost certainly beyond Jannis’s reach, but the opportunity to pitch in the big leagues isn’t.”

“I’m really looking forward to seeing him in camp,” Baltimore GM Mike Elias said when I asked about Jannis’s chances. “Mike Snyder, our pro scouting director, has been a big fan of his. I think it will be great for the major league staff to get to see him, because we do think he’s interesting. As we saw last year with with César Valdez, there are guys with neat stories that figure out how to be successful in the major leagues, and we’re hopeful that [Jannis] can be one of them. He’s got a real shot.”

“Valdez made nine relief appearances for the Orioles last year at age 35, throwing his changeup an almost-unfathomable 83.2% of this time. It’s by no means unreasonable to believe that Jannis — a veteran of 10 minor-league seasons — could do much the same with a knuckleball. There may not be any Hoyt Wilhelm in Jannis’s future, but if the butterfly is floating this spring, there could very well be some César Valdez.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-jonathan-schoop-needs-a-better-two-strike-approach-maybe/

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Meanwhile, I have been hoping that the Orioles would sign Collin McHugh, only to read on The Athletic that he has signed with the Rats.

You will forgive me for my heart not going pitter pat of the idea of signing this guy, although knuckleballers have a very special career path, and if Charlie Hough can pitch well into old age, Maybe this guy can too. I’m sure he has had past success.....right?

45 minutes ago, Philip said:

Ummmm no, he hasn’t.

Sheesh.

He has only been a full-time knuckleball pitcher since 2015. He has had success at AA in 2017, 2018, and 2019, with ERAs of 3.60, 3.60 and 3.10. Knocked around in his 4 AAA appearances though. Seems like a fun guy to have in camp and I would rather have him filling the 5th spot in the Norfolk rotation than someone like Eshelman or LeBlanc.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He has only been a full-time knuckleball pitcher since 2015. He has had success at AA in 2017, 2018, and 2019, with ERAs of 3.60, 3.60 and 3.10. Knocked around in his 4 AAA appearances though. Seems like a fun guy to have in camp and I would rather have him filling the 5th spot in the Norfolk rotation than someone like Eshelman or LeBlanc.

I’m always pulling for the knuckleballer.   

• Upvote 1

Here’s a cool story. I called up mlb radio on xm and talked about the kid you are referencing. They were intrigued and next week, they called him up and gave him an interview. Zack is a cool guy. He posted on a message board a long time ago and we interacted. He ended up sending me a signed ball and T-shirt his friends made for him. The “no spin zone”.