Bradford return

bigbird

I expect, based on all that's been said by MacPhail, that we're looking at a youngster at Low A ball or lower. This leads me to believe that we're looking at a kid like Nick Barnese... he's a solid 19 year old starter who was very good this past season at short-season Hudson Valley and a former third rounder from the '07 draft.

I see him as a ceiling...

A couple of other solid youngsters...

Matt Moore

Elias Otero

A guy like Barnese would not disappoint me, and even Moore looks like he could be OK. As to Otero, a 20-year old playing in the Appy League wouldn't seem to have much upside, even though his numbers there were impressive.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I expect, based on all that's been said by MacPhail, that we're looking at a youngster at Low A ball or lower. This leads me to believe that we're looking at a kid like Nick Barnese... he's a solid 19 year old starter who was very good this past season at short-season Hudson Valley and a former third rounder from the '07 draft.

Hmmm, more SO's than hits and walks combined in both minor league seasons. I'd go from unhappy about the trade to very happy - in the snap of a finger.

Didn't we do the same thing with Ponson? We traded him for that Moss character and a PTBNL. Ponson (switching leagues) was the player to be named.

No we resigned Sir Sid the judge punching Knight to a new contract as a free agent. Come to think of it is there any other team in baseball that gets two pitchers (Ainsworth and Moss) in a deal then re-signs the primary at the end of the year and winds up getting the worst of the deal.

Matt Moore

Elias Otero

If we get those players for Bradford that would be sweet! :clap3:

I think we've posted our expectations too death already.

The Rays have plenty of good pitching at the higher levels such that they could afford a respectable prospect - a la Barnese - in order to obtain a reliever with the stats of Bradford. We'll see.

Regarding coments above concerning baseball being a business and our having a plan/budget, this means little to me. We spent more on Wieters and Arrieta last year than probably all of our first 10 selections combined. Money has rarely ever been an issue regarding our draft picks.

Matt Moore

Elias Otero

Both Barnese and Moore are good pitching prospects. They would be ranked in our top 15 easily. I doubt TB will include them in any list for the PTBNL.

Both Barnese and Moore are good pitching prospects. They would be ranked in our top 15 easily. I doubt TB will include them in any list for the PTBNL.

I don't doubt at all that the player will be a guy we'd rank 33rd on our list, but I also don't doubt for a minute that MacPhail gets a far better player than that. Time will tell. It could go either way... without surprise.

Okay... here's a little pointless game. It reminds me of the WNST thing where you can pick a score for the upcoming Ravens game. But only one person per score.

From this post forward, pick who you think will be the PTBNL from Tampa. Once a player has been picked, he's off the board. There's one big exception: If you want a player whom someone else has picked, you have to provide the link to a post in which you've already picked him. If you can do that, then two (or more) people will have picked that player.

Nobody gets to pick 'cash' unless that's some guy's last name. Kevin Cash hasn't been in the Rays organization for a while. Any ideas for a prize beyond bragging rights?

Archived