Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?

Frobby

Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?

• Yes, he should be on the Opening Day Roster if he has a good spring
    • Yes, no matter what, but only after he passes the date for a 7th year of control
    • Only if we are contending and he’s needed to boost the team
    • Only if he looks ready to be an above average major leaguer immediately
    • Only if he looks ready to be a competent major leaguer
    • Only for a September call-up at most
    • No, save his service time and bring him up in 2022

6 minutes ago, linedrive said:

I picked: Yes, no matter what, but only after he passes the date for a 7th year of control.

If we're still trying to lose and obtain a top 3 draft pick, then it doesn't make sense to bring him up too soon. Let him gain experience in the minors until he's ready, and hopefully that will coincide with a 7th year of control. When he finally makes it to the Majors, it would be nice to see him make a statement, kind of like Machado did.

Kind of like Mountcastle did.

edit: And no, I don't mean hold Adley back EXCRUCIATINGLY long like they did Mouncastle. ? Just long enough that he bursts onto the ML scene, not trickles in.

I voted that we bring him up once he’s shown he’s ready to be a competent major league catcher.   

My logic is this: I want the extra year of control, and I don’t want him to be totally overmatched.    But once he shows he’s ready to be a competent major leaguer, I want him playing as many major league games as possible this year so that he’ll move up the learning curve and be as far along as he reasonably can be going into next season.   I think he’ll be much better in 2022 if he’s gotten a few months under his belt in 2021.   That gives him the winter to absorb what he learned and be ready to be an above average player next year.   And next year, I want this team to be pushing .500 if not beyond it.    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I voted that we bring him up once he’s shown he’s ready to be a competent major league catcher.   

My logic is this: I want the extra year of control, and I don’t want him to be totally overmatched.    But once he shows he’s ready to be a competent major leaguer, I want him playing as many major league games as possible this year so that he’ll move up the learning curve and be as far along as he reasonably can be going into next season.   I think he’ll be much better in 2022 if he’s gotten a few months under his belt in 2021.   That gives him the winter to absorb what he learned and be ready to be an above average player next year.   And next year, I want this team to be pushing .500 if not beyond it.    

That's a point against my logic, I'll admit. But I did vote Sept. callup... so he could get some of that experience.

Hell, we might not have Severino in September if he has a good year. Adley could come up and be the primary starter.

Your options only talk about speculating on how he would do in the majors.  My choice would be "Only if he is playing at a very high level in the minor leagues and deserves the opportunity."  I would love to see him slash + .300/.400/.500, and then get the call.

49 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Game his service time. I want all the losing to mean something. 

You game it by making sure you gain the extra year this year.  In other words, he shouldn’t be on the OD roster.  But once he picks up the extra year, he can be up.

No issue with them wanting to give him some time in the minors this year and if you keep him down foe a few months, you avoid super 2.

But unless he is hurt or just playing awful, he should be up by July.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

People get caught up in the whole has to prove himself in the minors stuff the GM spouts.

Adley is 23

He was the 1-1 pick out of college.

Now maybe he busts, maybe he's Wieters but wasting a season in the minors isn't going to "develop" him.

Sisco was in the majors, as a catcher, at 22.

By all accounts this kid's makeup is off the charts.  Nothing he can learn in the minors he can't learn in the majors.

Keeping him down is all about gaming his service time.

Yea, it’s one of the biggest bs things in the sport and people really fall for it.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yea, it’s one of the biggest bs things in the sport and people really fall for it.

It's fine for International kids to be in the majors at 20.

It's fine for HS kids to be in the majors at 20.

Kids that spend three years in college?  They have to spend a couple years in the minors first.  Pay their dues, earn their promotions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's fine for International kids to be in the majors at 20.

It's fine for HS kids to be in the majors at 20.

Kids that spend three years in college?  They have to spend a couple years in the minors first.  Pay their dues, earn their promotions.

What is also amusing is in the thread about an extension, people are saying you can’t trust C to play past a certain age, yet we want to keep him down for that to become an issue.  

I want him to play - somewhere.  Give him as many innings and at bats as possible.

The option I would have voted for, if it had been listed, was "if the minor league season is cancelled again, he should join the major league club immediately."

Since that option wasn't available, I voted for the September callup option.

I think that Rutschman should be up sometime this year (I voted for September).  I'm fine having Severino and Sisco split the reps for most of the year in the meantime.  There's an outside chance that they both perform reasonably well and we can trade one of them at the deadline.  Had Rutschman come out on fire in his first pro season in 2019, I might be more aggressive.  But I do think that it would be good to let him have a track record of minor league success, if nothing else but for his confidence.  I'm of the belief that there probably isn't much else he needs to work on, and instead could benefit from seeing major league pitching.  As others pointed out, less-heralded prospects have made their MLB debuts by 22.  However, imagine if he starts on opening day, looks over-matched, and gets sent down to the minors to "work on things."  It's not the end of the world, but it would be pretty disappointing for everyone involved.  That may still ultimately happen, but having a track record of minor league success would soften that blow.

Sure, he could come out the gate firing.  But we are still maybe three years away from competing, so I think it would be in the Os best interest to save an extra year of team control.

If he has a great spring he should go to AAA for a few weeks and if he looks ready, be up by mid-June, past the Super 2 deadline. If he has a mediocre spring, he should start at AA which doesn't start until May 4th, spend 4-6 weeks there and if successful, be promoted to AAA by mid-June. He should spend at least 4-6 weeks in AAA, and if successful be up for good by sometime in August or when rosters expand in September.

If he is injured or struggles the timeline would change but that would be my plan for him.