Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?

Frobby

Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?

• Yes, he should be on the Opening Day Roster if he has a good spring
    • Yes, no matter what, but only after he passes the date for a 7th year of control
    • Only if we are contending and he’s needed to boost the team
    • Only if he looks ready to be an above average major leaguer immediately
    • Only if he looks ready to be a competent major leaguer
    • Only for a September call-up at most
    • No, save his service time and bring him up in 2022

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can I have a list of highly touted college bats that never played above low A and played in the majors?

For context.

It isn’t a long list.   I recall Bob Horner (1:1 pick 1977, 21.9 rWAR and 127 OPS+) and Pete Incaviglia (1:8 pick 1985, 10.3 rWAR, 104 OPS+) never played in the minors at all.    John Olerud (1:1 pick 1989, 58.1 rWAR, 129 OPS+) went straight to the majors and never played in the minors except for a three game stint in his final season.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is not given that Adley will be able to hit major league pitching.  Failure is a possibility if he is not developed properly.   From where he is now he first shows he has hit AA pitching.  Then AAA pitching.  That gives him the best chance to be successful in the majors.  Just like Mountcastle.

I’d be surprised if he sees AAA and if he does, it will be a short stint.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is not given that Adley will be able to hit major league pitching.  Failure is a possibility if he is not developed properly.   From where he is now he first shows he has hit AA pitching.  Then AAA pitching.  That gives him the best chance to be successful in the majors.  Just like Mountcastle.

You are right.

Failure is a possibility regardless.

You have no evidence that additional development time added Mountcastle.  For instance we didn't see his walk rate increase until he got to the majors

Also Mountcastle was a HS draftee that was never regarded nearly as highly as AR.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It isn’t a long list.   I recall Bob Horner (1:1 pick 1977, 21.9 rWAR and 127 OPS+) and Pete Incaviglia (1:8 pick 1985, 10.3 rWAR, 104 OPS+) never played in the minors at all.    

Yep and I think all three are outside of the time period mentioned.

Kinda hard to come up with names that did well when you don't have any names to pick from.

Drungo has touched upon this.  The system is set up to favor a slow promotion schedule. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Yep and I think both are outside of the time period mentioned.

Kinda hard to come up with names that did well when you don't have any names to pick from.

Drungo has touched upon this.  The system is set up to favor a slow promotion schedule. 

Well, they finished in the time period mentioned.   And I edited my post to add John Olerud, who’s more recent and a better player than the other two.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep and I think both are outside of the time period mentioned.

Because it gives the best chance the player will succeed.

I'm going to assume that AR is pretty obviously the best catcher in spring training. If not, I'll assume it's close. He's not going to stink all of the sudden.

So assuming that, I want the extra year of service time. That means I'd bring him up pretty much when eligible for the extra year.

If I delayed beyond that, it would be because 1) the AA season starts later and I want him to get his feet wet (weak reason, IMO) or 2) I'm trying to maximize Severino's value for a trade (also pretty weak).

In a perfect world, Severino starts out like a house of fire. We call up AR in May/June and Severino gets more bench time and eventually traded.

Adley was originally drafted in 2016.

This wasn’t a very strong draft (as of yet) but here are some names of guys who have debuted already that were drafted in the first 80ish picks:

Ian Anderson- drafted out of HS..barely any MiL time, especially in the upper minors.  He started several playoff games in 2020.

Kyle Lewis- Debuted in 2019..Never played in AAA.  Went to Mercer, a lower level D1 school that isn’t nearly the level of competition the Pac12 is.

Gavin Lux- Drafted out of HS by the best organization  in the sport.  Was in AA within 2 years and the majors within 3.

Will Smith- in the majors within 3 seasons and regarded as one of the best C in the game.

Bo Bichette-  HS pick..in majors in 3 seasons.

Looking at the Hs kids here...did these teams make a mistake?