Heyman: Yankees will pursue Teixeira hard...as we all expected, I suppose

DrLev

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can't give Tex a blank check...He isn't THAT good and no one is going to.

I still think people are blowing his potential contract out of proportion..Maybe I will be wrong but Tex isn't looked at as an elite talent.

I really don't want to go more than 6 years but if i did, the salaries would have to be far less per year.

For 6 years, i would go up to 22 million a year.

For 7 years, I would go up to 20 milion a year.

For 8 years, I would go up to 18 million per year.

Really, Tex DESERVES something like 5/90. But with the way FA is and with some high dollar teams in play, he will get far more than that. The unknown question is, how much more?

And, how high are the Orioles willing to go.

I don't think we offer him something insane but I do agree with JTrea that PA is going to want to go down fighting if it is the O's vs the Yanks.

Cashman coming back to the Yanks may help us.

Good post. I agree with everything you are saying.

I think PGA and sons probably want it more than anyone else in the warehouse.

I would say this is 100% accurate...The question is, if AM only wants to give Tex 17 million a year for 5 years but it takes 20 a year for 6 years and PA is ok with that, does AM cave and do it?

You can't give Tex a blank check...He isn't THAT good and no one is going to.

I still think people are blowing his potential contract out of proportion..Maybe I will be wrong but Tex isn't looked at as an elite talent.

I really don't want to go more than 6 years but if i did, the salaries would have to be far less per year.

For 6 years, i would go up to 22 million a year.

For 7 years, I would go up to 20 milion a year.

For 8 years, I would go up to 18 million per year.

Really, Tex DESERVES something like 5/90. But with the way FA is and with some high dollar teams in play, he will get far more than that. The unknown question is, how much more?

And, how high are the Orioles willing to go.

I don't think we offer him something insane but I do agree with JTrea that PA is going to want to go down fighting if it is the O's vs the Yanks.

Cashman coming back to the Yanks may help us.

I agree with pretty much this whole post. I do think though, that Tex, having already turned down 20M a year from Texas kind of suggests that he thinks his worth to be more. I'm sure if it was just a matter of years, they would have added one more. I honestly believe he thinks he's a 22+M a year player and will try to hold out for that money. IMO, I think hes an 18M a year player, and I would go as high as 20M over 8 years. I just think he turns that deal down.

I agree with pretty much this whole post. I do think though, that Tex, having already turned down 20M a year from Texas kind of suggests that he thinks his worth to be more. I'm sure if it was just a matter of years, they would have added one more. I honestly believe he thinks he's a 22+M a year player and will try to hold out for that money. IMO, I think hes an 18M a year player, and I would go as high as 20M over 8 years. I just think he turns that deal down.

1) Tex didn't turn down 20 million a year.

2) He didn't want to be in Texas.

The contract Texas offered him has no bearing on FA right now.

Saying no to a 7/140 deal is kinda turning down 20M a year. I'm sure he didn't want to be in Texas, but he did turn down the extension and I think the money, and the thought of what he'd get in FA was a real motivating factor for him.

You must believe, SG, that Boras has him thinking he's going to get him more than 20M a year.

Saying no to a 7/140 deal is kinda turning down 20M a year. I'm sure he didn't want to be in Texas, but he did turn down the extension and I think the money, and the thought of what he'd get in FA was a real motivating factor for him.

You must believe, SG, that Boras has him thinking he's going to get him more than 20M a year.

Tex did turn down 140 million...but for 8 years, not 7.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/080107dnsporanglede.ccc962c5.html

BREAKING:::

According to ESPN's Jim Heyman the New York Yankees will attempt to purchase the contracts of the entire Tampa Bay Rays "Top 40 Prospect" List.

In addition to their relentless pursuit of Mark Texiera, CC Sabbathia, Jake Peavy, Ben Sheets and AJ Burnett.

The Yankees plan to move most to the bullpen to make room for veterans Mike Mussina and Andy Pettite as well as young reliever-turned-starter Joba Chamberlain.

The Yankees may also move to a seven-man rotation, mostly to nuture the arm of the powerful Chamberlain.

Tampa Bay owners were called for comment, but could not be reached by the time of press.

How many players do you think are turned off by a Hank Steinbrenner run Yankee team? My guess is that the Yankees will hit rock bottom because Hank will not be able to treat people with respect. Just a gut feeling but I think Hank will hurt is franchise.

If they were comfortable taking money from the insufferable, mouthy father, I don't see where they're going to be uncomfortable taking money from the insufferable, mouthy son.

I would say this is 100% accurate...The question is, if AM only wants to give Tex 17 million a year for 5 years but it takes 20 a year for 6 years and PA is ok with that, does AM cave and do it?

I don't know how strict of a budget PA has given MacPhail, but if I were in his shoes I'd cave if and only if the budget I was given is adjusted upwards. I would not want dishing out what I believe is a bad contract to effect what I have to work with.

It'll be a bit scary if PA and sons start pushing for particular players instead of letting MacPhail and the baseball guys determine how best to put together a winner.

But if there is one player for them to push for I think Tex is the guy. I mean, it solves a major problem - its not like he is pushing for Ken Griffey or something.

I don't know how strict of a budget PA has given MacPhail, but if I were in his shoes I'd cave if and only if the budget I was given is adjusted upwards so that giving out what I think is a bad contract doesn't effect what I have to work with.

I'm sure Angelos will stretch the budget for Tex. The question is will MacPhail want to stretch it?

I just hope MacPhail isn't the reason we don't get Mark Teixeira...

To me that would undo all the good that he has done, if he passes on Tex because he's too frugal...

If he's not willing to spend on Tex, you can forget about keeping Markakis, Jones and Wieters...

It definately has an effect... What will do the most to drive the price for Tex is what he turns down from Anaheim during their exclusivity period. Whatever that amount is will be the baseline for everyhting else going forward.

Archived