Who are you hoping has a breakout MiL season?

Frobby

And don’t say Adley Rutschman.   I’m talking about a season that significantly exceeds mainstream expectations, which would be just about impossible for Adley.   I’m talking about the kind of season that moves you up two grades in the eyes of observers.    Think Baumann in 2019.

One of my candidates is Adam Hall.   I’ve always liked him, with the caveat that he had little or no power and that was likely to become an issue as he moved up the chain.   I read that he showed up to camp 15 lbs heavier — hopefully added muscle that won’t hinder his excellent speed.    If he became a 15 HR, 30 2B threat, I think he’d be a very good prospect.

Another guy I’d put in this category is Drew Rom.   Nice arsensal and pitchability but the fastball velocity has been an issue.   Move him from 90ish to 93 and I think you’ve got a heckuva pitching prospect.    

So, those are two guys who are already on the prospect radar but not really seen as top-level prospects.   I’m hoping each makes a big jump this year.   

• Upvote 1

Adam Hall, SS. Supposedly has added 15 lb's of muscle to his frame, have no idea how that will impact his fielding (probably not in a good way) but im rooting for any SS in the system to fly up organizational depth chart, so I'll go with Hall. 

My answer is the guys with the highest upside.

D.L. Hall reigning in the walks would be a breakout.

Gunnar Henderson, Coby Mayo, Kjerstad and Diaz with a very high OPS.

1-2 international guys that we've kind of heard of but who haven't done much in organized ball would be awesome.

It would be awesome if we have a high upside arm (like Baumann) who has a break through season. I'll take guys like Rom, but would love a power guy to do it.

Oh, and the always forgotten Toby Welk. That'd be real cool.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gunnar Henderson.  While he's regarded pretty well around here, I'd like to see him have a monster season and make a name for himself.

On 3/8/2021 at 6:22 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Darell Hernaiz.

On 3/8/2021 at 6:41 PM, ArtVanDelay said:

Adam Stauffer.

I think these 3 are all great picks.  If I had to pick one though I guess I'd go with Gunnar.  We've heard a lot of fluff about how talented he is and how good of a season he had at the camp last year, it would be great to see him put that into action and become a legitimate high-end infield prospect.

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I think these 3 are all great picks.  If I had to pick one though I guess I'd go with Gunnar.  We've heard a lot of fluff about how talented he is and how good of a season he had at the camp last year, it would be great to see him put that into action and become a legitimate high-end infield prospect.

In my mind, Gunnar is already really highly regarded.   He seems to be a consensus top 6-8 prospect for us, and I’ve seen several national sources predict that he’ll be in the top 100 next year.   So really, I was thinking about players a little lower down in the rankings.    But, I too would really love to see Gunnar have the type of year that really puts him on the map.   

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In my mind, Gunnar is already really highly regarded.   He seems to be a consensus top 6-8 prospect for us, and I’ve seen several national sources predict that he’ll be in the top 100 next year.   So really, I was thinking about players a little lower down in the rankings.    But, I too would really love to see Gunnar have the type of year that really puts him on the map.   

Right, I guess it really depends on what you mean by breakout.  Gunnar's status is largely due to his draft status and scouting reports, and a respectable but SSS GCL season.  When I think breakout I'm thinking of really showing something in your performance.  (And based on that criteria you could technically still include Adley, but I digress.)