Maikel Franco Deal with Os Final

LookinUp

14 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I didn’t think this gif would be necessary when the news broke. Must be a lot of i’s getting dotted and t’s getting crossed.

giphy.gif

It's just the way things work now with reporters trying to break stories in social media.   20 years ago we MIGHT have heard a rumor from a reporter in a printed or online newspaper that we were rumored to be talking to him.   And 3 or 4 days later the signing might happen.   Or we might not have heard anything and been surprised when the signing happened.   Isn't that how it happened with Hernandez and Harvey?   Maybe those took just as long but we weren't trying to peek in a window and watch the sausage get made so we didn't know what we were missing.

By the way, that expression about not wanting to watch the sausage get made... I don't think it's true.   I watch the cooks make sausage on Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives a lot and I think it's a cool process that doesn't disgust me in the least.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Yeah, I guess I missed the change back in 2018. 

"Phillies third basman Maikel Franco has switched agencies and is now a client of Octagon Sports, Jon Heyman of FanRag reports "  

On 3/14/2021 at 2:11 PM, wildcard said:

Franco   career    252/304/433/737  a free agent at the end of the season.

Ruiz career   220/295/372/667

Ruiz defense a little better.

Renato Nunez career: .248/.313./451/.764

2020 Salaries: Nunez $562k; Franco $2,950k.

Franco defense a little better.

How will Franco change the makeup of the team?   Here is my answer.

Franco is profiled as a power hitter who can hit for a .250ish average and can hit both lefties and righties.  He has been inconsistent over the years but in general he more likely to hit well at 3B than Ruiz or anyone else is camp.   His 3B defense is slightly  below average.  Slightly meaning not Renato Nunez bad.   But not as good as Ruiz who is average defensively at 3B.   

So that makes Franco the everyday 3B.  Not a platoon player.   But using Ruiz as a defensive replacement in late innings could help the team close out games.

Hyde has indicated that Galvis is his everyday SS and Sanchez is his everyday 2B.   Hyde has not shown this spring that is wants to move these two around the infield.   He wants them in the middle of the infield most days.   And they both have been very durable players.  Galvis has played 162 games in the past, not that I am recommending that.  Sanchez probably averages 140 games a year given the chance.

Mancini is the 1B.  He could be spelled by Mountcastle though we have not seen much of that this spring.   Maybe some innings with Mountcastle at 1B will happen yet this spring.  But up until  now Hyde seems to like to use the utility infielder when Mancini is not at 1B.  

So what is the role of the utility infielder.   He will not be used in the outfield much.  There are plenty of outfielders with Hays, Mullins, Mountcastle, Santander and Stewart.   It looks like the utility infielder may play once a week at 1B, 2B and SS if Ruiz is on the team as the defensively replacement at 3B.  Ruiz may also be able to backup 1B when Mancini needs a rest.

There is no need for two utility infielders to full that limited role.   So there is a battle between Valaika and Urias for that role.  Both have options.   Valaika is probably the better defensive player especially at SS and 1B.  Urias edge may be offensively.   I don't know how this plays out but Valaika appears to be the most well rounded and most experienced player for the role.

That is my take.

• Upvote 1