Maikel Franco Deal with Os Final

LookinUp

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

With Franco signed, it looks like the Orioles position player roster is starting to take shape. Obviously the biggest thing that affects it right now is whether the team carries 13 or 14 pitchers. I still see them carrying 14 pitchers because of the innings load that will need to be taken on by many pitchers with just 60 innings or less pitched last year by everyone.

Now I supposed Franco could be optioned this year before opening day if he looks rusty and Ruiz could start the year at 3B, but I'm going to assume he will spend most, if not all of 2021 with the Orioles (at least until the trade deadline).

With that in mind, this is how I see the Orioles position players.

1B: Mancini
2B: Sanchez
SS: Galvis
3B: Franco
LF: Mountcastle/Hays
CF: Hays/Mullins
RF: Santander/Hays
C Severino
DH: Stewart/Mountcastle/Mancini/Santander (He's going to play a lot of CF/LF/RF)

Reserves:
C- Sisco (I really think Hyde would prefer Wynns here)
UTL: Valaika
DH/OF: Stewart

The Orioles are playing Mullins right now like a regular this spring and I think the Orioles really want his defense in CF (at least against righties). The Orioles best defensive outfield is Hays (LF), Mullins (CF), Santander (RF) but they are playing Mountcastle everyday in LF and he's too young to make an everyday DH.

This means they will rotate Mountcastle and Santander with Stewart at DH and free up Hays to play all three outfield spots including starting in CF against lefties.

So basically Hyde has lot of options to mix and match in his outfield with Hays ability play all three outfield position effectively and Hays will get 500+ at bats playing all over the outfield.

If, and that's a big if, the Orioles go with 13 pitchers, then it opens a spot for Ruiz as a left-handed pinch hitter, backup 1B/3B. I see Ruiz getting DFA'd, getting through waivers and playing DH, 1B and some 3B with Bannon playing 2B on occasion at Norfolk this year. Ruiz would be the first option if Franco gets hurt unless Bannon is tearing it up in AAA (he's looked pretty over matched this spring). the other thing could be to send Ruiz to Bowie to play 3B everyday and be ready in case of injury since they probably want to see Bannon against AAA pitching this year.

Who is getting benched if the O's are playing Mullins the majority of the time.  I don't see Hays or Santander sitting the bench much.  I would say Stewart over Mountcastle.

25 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Who is getting benched if the O's are playing Mullins the majority of the time.  I don't see Hays or Santander sitting the bench much.  I would say Stewart over Mountcastle.

Unless he is red hot, I don't see Mullins playing much against lefties, so that opens up CF for Hays, with RMC and Santander in left and right, respectively, and Stewart at DH.  Against righties, I could see Hays in left and RMC at DH, or RMC in left and Stewart at DH, with the occasional day off against a righty for Mullins allowing Hays to play center.  Santander will be in there just about every day.

I still think Urias can make the team over Valiakia.  Urias is cheaper than Valaika as well.  Valiakia is only making $875,000 but he's the 8th highest paid player on the team at the moment. Urias makes league minimum.  They are kind of the same player; go with the cheapest, year younger?  Maybe you can trade Valaika?

Elias still may give Ruiz a fair shot to win 3B whether its while Franco is in AAA/Alternate Camp getting reps or if Ruiz has to use his option, go to AAA and perform, and wait to see if Franco flops.  I can also see the justification of DFA and seeing if he passes through waivers in order to clear up 40 man space.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think there will be a rotation between the five of them and the four positions (OF+DH). Hyde will be able to use best match ups.

16 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

With Franco signed, it looks like the Orioles position player roster is starting to take shape. Obviously the biggest thing that affects it right now is whether the team carries 13 or 14 pitchers. I still see them carrying 14 pitchers because of the innings load that will need to be taken on by many pitchers with just 60 innings or less pitched last year by everyone.

Now I supposed Franco could be optioned this year before opening day if he looks rusty and Ruiz could start the year at 3B, but I'm going to assume he will spend most, if not all of 2021 with the Orioles (at least until the trade deadline).

With that in mind, this is how I see the Orioles position players.

1B: Mancini
2B: Sanchez
SS: Galvis
3B: Franco
LF: Mountcastle/Hays
CF: Hays/Mullins
RF: Santander/Hays
C Severino
DH: Stewart/Mountcastle/Mancini/Santander (He's going to play a lot of CF/LF/RF)

Reserves:
C- Sisco (I really think Hyde would prefer Wynns here)
UTL: Valaika
DH/OF: Stewart

The Orioles are playing Mullins right now like a regular this spring and I think the Orioles really want his defense in CF (at least against righties). The Orioles best defensive outfield is Hays (LF), Mullins (CF), Santander (RF) but they are playing Mountcastle everyday in LF and he's too young to make an everyday DH.

This means they will rotate Mountcastle and Santander with Stewart at DH and free up Hays to play all three outfield spots including starting in CF against lefties.

So basically Hyde has lot of options to mix and match in his outfield with Hays ability play all three outfield position effectively and Hays will get 500+ at bats playing all over the outfield.

If, and that's a big if, the Orioles go with 13 pitchers, then it opens a spot for Ruiz as a left-handed pinch hitter, backup 1B/3B. I see Ruiz getting DFA'd, getting through waivers and playing DH, 1B and some 3B with Bannon playing 2B on occasion at Norfolk this year. Ruiz would be the first option if Franco gets hurt unless Bannon is tearing it up in AAA (he's looked pretty over matched this spring). the other thing could be to send Ruiz to Bowie to play 3B everyday and be ready in case of injury since they probably want to see Bannon against AAA pitching this year.

My only quibble with this very useful projection is that I think one has to prepare for Hays being sidelined for 2-3 periods during the season due to whatever injury arises from his aggressive style of playing. Hyde is confirming what the Mountcastle, Mullins, and Santander configuration looks like in the OF because he realizes he'll be forced to use it for several stretches. At least it's a better choice than having Stewart out there.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

At the end of the day, Maikel seems like a good dude.  Happy to have him on the team this year.

Yes and his familiarity with Galvis will help him feel more comfortable.  The infield should be decent, if a bit range-challenged.