The Catching Situation

Legend_Of_Joey

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I want to see Sisco play 4-5 times a week.  I don’t know if his bat will ever come around but this is the time to find it out.  Playing Severino does nothing for you both short and long term.

The evaluation is in on Sisco. He'll always be sub par defensive catcher who will actually lose games because of defense at times. He's going to be low AVG player who sells out for occasional pop and who has an unique skill of attracting baseballs to his body to help out his OBP. 

Severino should be backup, but he has shown stretches of being a competent hitters, and although he makes some bone headed defensive plays, is not a good framer, and will make his share of throwing errors, he actually will do some things behind the plate to help a team.

You could cut either tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Neither will help the the team in the future through their play or trading value. They are mere place holders.

12 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

That's just one pundits ranking of prospects.  There is no hint at all that this is the guy that the Orioles would pick.

I wouldnt say no hint.

Roch does talk to the people inside the organization, so he isnt clueless.

Its not set in stone, at this point, its a good as guess as anything Keith Law comes up with. :)

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The evaluation is in on Sisco. He'll always be sub par defensive catcher who will actually lose games because of defense at times. He's going to be low AVG player who sells out for occasional pop and who has an unique skill of attracting baseballs to his body to help out his OBP. 

Severino should be backup, but he has shown stretches of being a competent hitters, and although he makes some bone headed defensive plays, is not a good framer, and will make his share of throwing errors, he actually will do some things behind the plate to help a team.

You could cut either tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Neither will help the the team in the future through their play or trading value. They are mere place holders.

Agree.

I wouldnt bat an eyelash either, just a shame it was such a wasted pick, and yet another prospect that didnt deliver the hype.

7 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Especially when compared to Josh Hart...

It was a wasted pick. Consider: “ ok, if you pick this guy with this draft choice, this is what you’re going to get. Still wanna make the choice?” 
“Heck no, that would be a waste!”

Yes it was a wasted pick. Now, to be fair, LOTS of second round picks are wasted. But that doesn’t change the truth that this one certainly was.

• Confused 1