Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Exactly. The folks that want every prospect rushed to the majors don't realize how important these steps are when it comes to making adjustments and learning at a level where they aren't crushed. Henderson is certainly trying to learn how to shorten his swing a bit as they are working him pretty hard inside right now. He's a got a ton of talent but seems to have gone into a horrific slump just when he was promoted.

the talent difference is not that much that he should be totally dominated so he should be ok. Last night was terrible game where he went 0-for-4, 2 Ks and 2 errors at SS. I really think they need to leave him at 3B and stop moving him back and forth, but it's hard to know whether he's taking his bat woes into the field. 

This is probably his longest bout of failure so it's a learning experience for him. Let's see where he is after 100 PAs.

I hate the idea of rushing prospects, but I also don't like the idea of sending them back down after they have been promoted.

I think staying at third is a good idea. It seems we have enough prospects at short at this point with Grenier and Westburg among others.

• Like 1

Does the fact that GH hits so many of his HRs to LF concern anybody? The last guy I recall going oppo this much was Chance Sisco a couple three years ago, and we all know how that turned out. Some guys have power to the opposite field because they can go with the pitch, but some others just seem to react an instant slower than they should be. The slow guys usually get chewed up by major league pitchers, same as Sisco did. 

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Does the fact that GH hits so many of his HRs to LF concern anybody? The last guy I recall going oppo this much was Chance Sisco a couple three years ago, and we all know how that turned out. Some guys have power to the opposite field because they can go with the pitch, but some others just seem to react an instant slower than they should be. The slow guys usually get chewed up by major league pitchers, same as Sisco did. 

Sisco had nowhere near Henderson’s level of power.   He hit between 5 and 10 homers a year in the minors.   Henderson has 9 in 36 games.   If most of them go to LF, so be it. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

No, it means he's strong.  You gotta be a bit of a physical beast to go opposite field and do it often.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, it means he's strong.  You gotta be a bit of a physical beast to go opposite field and do it often.  

Yea, it's one of those counterintuitive things, I think. When Davis was actually a good player, I recall someone commenting how weird it was that a of his homeruns seemed to be fly balls that just got over the wall by a few feet (one would think a power hitter would be hitting all of his HR farther than other guys). If you think about it, though, you see a good number of those because he's so strong/had so much power. A lot those are lazy fly balls for everyone else that are unceremoniously caught for an out. Guys with less power have to really get into the ball to get it over the fence.

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Yea, it's one of those counterintuitive things, I think. When Davis was actually a good player, I recall someone commenting how weird it was that a of his homeruns seemed to be fly balls that just got over the wall by a few feet (one would think a power hitter would be hitting all of his HR farther than other guys). If you think about it, though, you see a good number of those because he's so strong/had so much power. A lot those are lazy fly balls for everyone else that are unceremoniously caught for an out. Guys with less power have to really get into the ball to get it over the fence.

Seems to me that exit velocity stats would just standardize all of this educated guessing.  Not sure if that is publicly available for minor leaguers......I would imagine it isn't.

54 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Seems to me that exit velocity stats would just standardize all of this educated guessing.  Not sure if that is publicly available for minor leaguers......I would imagine it isn't.

Yes and no. Part of what we're talking about with strength is a part of the formula to generate said EVs, rather than the EVs themselves.