Adam Plutko acquired in trade

eddie83

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

After hearing Elias's comments, it sounds as if Plutko is on the team for now. Obviously more move could and probably will come, but for now he looks to have a long man spot and could make some starts this year.

But who gets dumped to make room? I still want to keep both R5 guys and I’d like Greene to make the club too.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'd rather see Akin start than this guy.  Or Lowther.  Or Baumann.  

Lowther and Baumann aren’t options now. Akin will get his shot at some point. 

Elias is just trying to get through the year. This team has no legitimate depth. None. We have one starter who has been good in a full season on this roster in the last 5 years. That is Means with one quality season. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Lowther and Baumann aren’t options now. Akin will get his shot at some point. 

Elias is just trying to get through the year. This team has no legitimate depth. None. We have one starter who has been good in a full season on this roster in the last 5 years. That is Means with one quality season. 

Yep.  I predict that at least a dozen different pitchers start a game for the Orioles this year.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Philip said:

But who gets dumped to make room? I still want to keep both R5 guys and I’d like Greene to make the club too.

I think Greene goes to the alternate site because they can keep him there  until he's needed. I like Greene as well, but because he's not on the 40-man roster, I think he goes back to AAA unless they give one of the Rule 5 guys back.

Guys who can throw 60 IP of 4+ ERA like Abad/Tate/Sulser/Lakins aren't valued anymore. If you're going to be a 1 inning guy, you'd better dominate that inning. Otherwise, a guy like Plutko will take your spot.

I think an ideal team has 4 long relievers and 3 dominant 1 IP guys in the pen. Then, a 5 man bench of PHs like Renato Nunez/DJ Stewart, a PR/OF like Billy Hamilton, a versatile glove like Ryan Flaherty, and a catcher.

• Upvote 2

On 3/28/2021 at 3:36 PM, SteveA said:

Yep.  I predict that at least a dozen different pitchers start a game for the Orioles this year.

Not exactly a bold prediction.   18 different pitchers started a game for them in 2019, and 10 last year in a mere 60 games.   

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

2014- Seven.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, and McFarland only started one because the O’s had a doubleheader a few days before so nobody in the rotation was available to pitch that day.  He got the win, BTW.    

That was a year of uncharacteristic health and effectiveness throughout the entirety of the staff.