Note on Connor Greene

Sports Guy

51 minutes ago, Philip said:

No news. He’ll be at the alternate site, but will doubtless eventually get innings with the big club under the “next man up” rule. He’s throwing hard. One would have to look a bit deeper to locate any meaningful problems.

Well, I think the fact that he’s faced incredibly weak competition is worth noting.  I hadn’t really thought about that.   Greene’s OppQual was 2.9 (see scale below).  For comparison, Wells was 5.0, Sceroler 5.6.

FWIW, here is the OppQual for some of our hitters this spring:

Hays 8.5

Mountcastle 8.5

Sisco 8.0

Severino 7.9

Mancini 7.7

Galvis 7.6

Santander 7.4

Ruiz 7.4

Mullins 7.3

Urias 7.3

Valaika 7.2

Rutschman 6.8

This is rated by the highest level the opposing pitcher or hitter has attained.

Majors = 10

AAA = 8

AA = 7

A+ = 5

A = 4

Short season A = 3

Rookie ball = 1.5

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I think the fact that he’s faced incredibly weak competition is worth noting.  I hadn’t really thought about that.   Greene’s OppQual was 2.9 (see scale below).  For comparison, Wells was 5.0, Sceroler 5.6.

FWIW, here is the OppQual for some of our hitters this spring:

Hays 8.5

Mountcastle 8.5

Sisco 8.0

Severino 7.9

Mancini 7.7

Galvis 7.6

Santander 7.4

Ruiz 7.4

Mullins 7.3

Urias 7.3

Valaika 7.2

Rutschman 6.8

This is rated by the highest level the opposing pitcher or hitter has attained.

Majors = 10

AAA = 8

AA = 7

A+ = 5

A = 4

Short season A = 3

Rookie ball = 1.5

Sssshhhhhhhh

”Smiles, everyone! Smiles!”

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, I think that's the most important part.  Even if he might not have been facing ML guys, he was around the plate consistently.  

The only issue is Greene's BB9 went up each level of the minor leagues after A ball. I'm hoping he's turned a corner, but I'll wait for real games to see if Greene continues with the lower walk rate. 

15 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The only issue is Greene's BB9 went up each level of the minor leagues after A ball. I'm hoping he's turned a corner, but I'll wait for real games to see if Greene continues with the lower walk rate. 

To be clear, the average level of competition he’s faced this spring is slightly lower than short season A ball.   This for a guy who’s pitched 400+ innings at AA/AAA.   So I’m not that impressed by the lack of walks in 10 IP.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, the average level of competition he’s faced this spring is slightly lower than short season A ball.   This for a guy who’s pitched 400+ innings at AA/AAA.   So I’m not that impressed by the lack of walks in 10 IP.   

Well, avoiding walks is it a pitcher skill. It shows he has control and can pitch in the zone. Now it’s possible that pitching in the zone will get him blasted by better hitters, but at least he’s not wild.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Frobbicino with the wet blanket!  

You have every right to remain skeptical, though.  10 IP in spring training doesn't mean anything but it'd be cool if the Orioles helped him make some improvements to reign in that command a little bit.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I trust you but it doesn't make sense to me.  I can believe that a lot of hitters he faced may have last played in AA or even high A but hard to believe that most were rookie league level hitters.  How many hitters like that were in Oriole camp?  Rutschmann, Westburg,  ??

Ahh yes, rookie league level hitter Rutschman.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I trust you but it doesn't make sense to me.  I can believe that a lot of hitters he faced may have last played in AA or even high A but hard to believe that most were rookie league level hitters.  How many hitters like that were in Oriole camp?  Rutschmann, Westburg,  ??

I tested this and now I have to agree with you.   I looked at Greene’s longest outing, March 23 when he pitched innings 5-7.    In that game he faced 10 batters, 5 of whom had played in the majors, 1 AAA, 3 AA and 1 A+.   That would grade out to 8.5 as I understand the scale.  There’s no way for him to average out at 2.9 over 9 IP if he averaged 8.5 over 3 IP.   So, I don’t know what went wrong, but the OppQual shown for Greene is incorrect.   

• Thanks 1