The defense thread 2021

Frobby

On 6/14/2021 at 9:53 PM, Frobby said:

Might have been the most ridiculous play  I’ve seen since Jack Cust ran the bases.   Of course, Stewart getting bonked on the head while sliding to catch a line drive might be a close third.  

Hey Froberto Clemente, watch the game tonite?  Wanna update your most ridiculous play rankings?

Severino really has no clue how to do anything. 

No play at the plate = COVER THIRD SO THEY CAN’T ADVANCE IN A RUN DOWN LIKE THAT!

That’s the second time this season he has failed to cover a base. He can’t do any of the 3 things in “fundamental.”

”Fun” - He is not fun to watch

”Da” - He is not a defensive asset

”Mental” - He needs to pull his head out of his

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hey Froberto Clemente, watch the game tonite?  Wanna update your most ridiculous play rankings?

I missed it, but when I got in my car the announcer was saying, “that’s a play that simply cannot happen on a Major League Baseball field.”  Still haven’t seen what happened.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I missed it, but when I got in my car the announcer was saying, “that’s a play that simply cannot happen on a Major League Baseball field.”  Still haven’t seen what happened.  

Must not have been the Orioles announcers.  For them it's just a Wednesday. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Severino really has no clue how to do anything. 

No play at the plate = COVER THIRD SO THEY CAN’T ADVANCE IN A RUN DOWN LIKE THAT!

That’s the second time this season he has failed to cover a base. He can’t do any of the 3 things in “fundamental.”

”Fun” - He is not fun to watch

”Da” - He is not a defensive asset

”Mental” - He needs to pull his head out of his

Severino was actually going over to back up first as the run down was between first and second.  The pitcher, who was not involved in the rundown, should have been covering third.

This video has a good overhead look.  https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=31647796

Galvis does a poor job of giving the ball up too early.  Franco didn’t get to second in time, though there really isn’t too much he could do about that.

Actually, in a rundown, you should follow your throw so Mancini should have been going to second while Galvis was chasing Ramirez back to first. He instead went to first creating the hole at second.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

Severino was actually going over to back up first as the run down was between first and second.  The pitcher, who was not involved in the rundown, should have been covering third.

This video has a good overhead look.  https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=31647796

Galvis does a poor job of giving the ball up too early.  Franco didn’t get to second in time, though there really isn’t too much he could do about that.

Actually, in a rundown, you should follow your throw so Mancini should have been going to second while Galvis was chasing Ramirez back to first. He instead went to first creating the hole at second.

Holy crap, there is video evidence of Sevie actually running!

Valaika looked like he was close enough to tag him on the sprint to second. 

A huge part of yesterday’s meltdown was Anthony Santander’s poor play on Bichette’s pop fly with two outs, bases loaded in the 9th.   He got a late break, didn’t begin running full speed on the play, and still got his glove on the ball but didn’t catch it.   Just a bad defensive play by him and it cost us the ballgame.  

• Upvote 1

Ryan Mountcastle missed at least two balls (could be more that didn't make the highlights) that a decent OF'er catches.

Mountcastle and Stewart should never play in a ML outfield. I don't care who they have to call up to find someone that can catch and throw, and I don't care if that person hits .100 but  no more Mountcastle or Stewart.

17 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Ryan Mountcastle missed at least two balls (could be more that didn't make the highlights) that a decent OF'er catches.

Mountcastle and Stewart should never play in a ML outfield. I don't care who they have to call up to find someone that can catch and throw, and I don't care if that person hits .100 but  no more Mountcastle or Stewart.

Really?

The second Ryan isnt playing and on the bench.

You will start a thread, yelling at Hyde for not playing their best prospect and having his bat in the lineup.

You cant have it both ways.

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

A huge part of yesterday’s meltdown was Anthony Santander’s poor play on Bichette’s pop fly with two outs, bases loaded in the 9th.   He got a late break, didn’t begin running full speed on the play, and still got his glove on the ball but didn’t catch it.   Just a bad defensive play by him and it cost us the ballgame.  

His ankle probably didn’t help.

If he can’t hit and is a detriment in the field, you need to put him on the IL.

Im Not sure if they just don’t feel it can get better with rest or they are hoping he gets his trade value up (he’s showing why he should have been dealt in the offseason) but he shouldn’t be out there.  He is helping nothing right now.  

20 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Really?

The second Ryan isnt playing and on the bench.

You will start a thread, yelling at Hyde for not playing their best prospect and having his bat in the lineup.

You cant have it both ways.

and yet he made the last out of the game? I guess that was some secret Ryan Mountcastle imposter who plays a really bad LF just like Ryan Mountcastle

His bat should be in the lineup as the DH/1B every game, never in the OF