Roch is obsessed with trading Santander

wildcard

Roch has posted in his blog about trading Santander throughout the off season and spring training and writes about it again this morning.   

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/04/teams-scouting-santander-while-his-swing-brings-stellar-stats.html

IMO the O's would have to be blown away to trade Santander anytime soon.  It not the time of year for that kind of a trade.  With oft injured players like Hays, Diaz on the 40 man roster and Santander himself who is just coming off an oblique injury, a trade seems unlikely.  But there is Roch chatting it up again.   I am not sure why Roch is so obsessed with the topic.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Roch has posted in his blog about trading Santander throughout the off season and spring training and writes about it again this morning.   

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/04/teams-scouting-santander-while-his-swing-brings-stellar-stats.html

IMO the O's would have to be blown away to trade Santander anytime soon.  It not the time of year for that kind of a trade.  With oft injured players like Hays, Diaz on the 40 man roster and Santander himself who is just coming off an oblique injury, a trade seems unlikely.  But there is Roch chatting it up again.   I am not sure why Roch is so obsessed with the topic.

Roch gets fed stuff.  This is how things work with reporters.  He is being told scouts are watching him.  It’s newsworthy in the area of journalism he is in and for the team he works for.

So, if he know he is on the block and knows he is being scouted, he will and SHOULD report it.

He covers a team that trades anyone with  a pulse who they don’t feel is a long term asset with the club.  He knows they have shopped hiM and he knows teams are looking at him.

It would be stupid and irresponsible of him NOT to report on it.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

The OP makes it sound like trading Santander is being driven by Roch.  Clearly if you read his piece, he is repeating what he hears.  Which folds in perfectly with the line...that other teams clearly get the vibe that Santander is available.  

No obsession here....at least not by Roch.

Well said.

It makes sense considering the O's have lots of OF prospects... or, at least, that's what I'm told.  Meanwhile, Santander, Hays, Stewart, and Diaz risk injury every time they sneeze, Mountcastle is likely to spend lots of time at 1B/DH, and we've never actually seen Kjerstad near a baseball field.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Not that he is a star but this would be an odd time of the year to deal him. Have to see as we get closer to the summer if Elias tries to strike early.  

You deal him whenever the right offer comes in.  Right now, teams are likely just doing their due diligence and doing preliminary talking. 

If he stays healthy (big if), he will likely be one of the better bats available at the deadline and he has service time remaining.  Teams know he is available and will continue to be available.

Elias has not dealt any of the players are that part of the rebuild.    And he is not likely to trade away his best young players.   Santander is not a free agent until after the 2024 season under the current rules.   He is unlikely to be traded this season.   

Santander, Mullins, Mountcastle, and Hays all fit onto the current roster.   Stewart will get his chances this year and he still has an option that can be used.   He could be moved in the future when Diaz is ready.      McKenna is seen as a 4th outfielder and he has options.  So he has not hit well above A ball.  Kjerstad is probably not in the majors before 2023.

Roch has been around a long time and knows a lot of scouts.  And yes, there are probably scouts that are interested in Santander and Mountcastle and Means and  a bunch of other O's players.  That does not mean that Elias is going to trade any of the players that part of the rebuild.  I don't think that Roch's rumors are coming from Elias.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias has not dealt any of the players are that part of the rebuild.    And he is not likely to trade away his best young players.   Santander is not a free agent until after the 2024 season under the current rules.   He is unlikely to be traded this season.   

Santander, Mullins, Mountcastle, and Hays all fit onto the current roster.   Stewart will get his chances this year and he still has an option that can be used.   He could be moved in the future when Diaz is ready.      McKenna is seen as a 4th outfielder and he has options.  So he has not hit well above A ball.  Kjerstad is probably not in the majors before 2023.

Roch has been around a long time and knows a lot of scouts.  And yes, there are probably scouts that are interested in Santander and Mountcastle and Means and  a bunch of other O's players.  That does not mean that Elias is going to trade any of the players that part of the rebuild.  I don't think that Roch's rumors are coming from Elias.

You are fooling yourself if you don’t think Elias would deal him and you are also fooling yourself if you think Elias needs some hard to believe it would be offered package to trade him.

If he gets an offer he seems to be good enough, Santander is gone.  

I think the only way he is on the 2022 roster is if he has a down year and/or a lot of injury concerns. (And btw, he could still be dealt with these things happening)

If the O's do trade Santander it's a good sign because it likely means they really highly value some of their OF prospects, IMO. They could trade anyone if they're blown away, but I don't think teams are offering top 30 guys for Santander.