Keegan Akin 2021

Il BuonO

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Akin struck out three batters in six innings yesterday, good for a 4.5 K/9

Can you show me one pitcher who has had success in MLB over the past couple of years with a 4.5 K/9?

He also gave up zero hits in 6 innings. Pretty sure if he keeps that up in perpetuity he would be successful. I don't find 3 K's in one start to be inherently concerning, nor 6 no hit innings to be inherently predictive of anything. His overall results are trending in a positive direction. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

He also gave up zero hits in 6 innings. Pretty sure if he keeps that up in perpetuity he would be successful. I don't find 3 K's in one start to be inherently concerning, nor 6 no hit innings to be inherently predictive of anything. His overall results are trending in a positive direction. 

Yes, if he continues to not give up any hits he'll do well.

5 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Can you show me one pitcher who has had success in MLB over the past couple of years with a 4.5 K/9?

Well, his career K rate is 8.97, so you’re tilting at windmills if you want to complain about 4.5. However, Zach Davies had been fine with a career rate of 6.61. His 2021 season has been dreadful, but he’s still going to get plenty of cash as a FA this fall. The salient point is that Akin is who we have. We can’t make him something he’s not. Whether he will succeed long term remains to be seen, but if he can keep doing what he did yesterday, I won’t complain.

5 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

In his last 5 outings, Akin has pitched 27 innings and allowed 16 hits (5.3/9) and has 22 strikeouts (7.3/9).   Previous to that, he’d pitched 58.2 innings and allowed 83 hits (12.7/9 and struck out 54 (8.3/9).   I’ll happily take the lower H/9 and K/9 from the recent games.   One game of 4.5 K/9 is not significant.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Solid outing for Akin tonight: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 6 K’s.   The run charged to him came from a runner on 1B when he left the game with one out in the 6th, who scored when Hanhold coughed up a 2-run homer.   

Over the last 5 weeks/8 starts, Akin has done a reasonable impression of a back-end starter, tossing to a 4.46 ERA and averaging 5.04 innings per start.   That’s more or less the pitcher I was expecting to see this season.   He was just horrendous the first 2/3 of this season, and his final season numbers are bound to be ugly, but it’s nice to see him generating a ray of hope that he could fill a rotation slot next season.  He could get two more starts before this season wraps up.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Will the real Keegan Akin please step up please stand up, please stand up.  He's got to show up in ST in shape and in command.  Then, he can be our 5th starter.  Otherwise... bullpen.   

It's easy to say that but who knows what type of shambling corpses are going to be out there fighting for rotation spots next spring.