The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

11 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Atlanta today was down 0-4 to the Phillies going into the late innings, staring at a 0-2 deficit in the series as the #1 seed, just like the Orioles. They came back and won 5-4.

If the Orioles had managed to keep the deficit at 3 runs instead of 7 (the grand slam), they would have come back too. So the difference was basically Baker getting into the game. That was not a championship move by Hyde.

Dont like to put Hyde down but Baker being on the Playoff roster, that's a continuation of Felix being injured and roster construction. Some here have said Irvin would have been a better choice. In any case should have let Coulombe at least start the 3rd and then go to Webb  or Flarerty to get farther down the game. Webb did not do himself a favor getting into a 3 ball count with Garver, who said he was looking fastball because base were loaded, got it and then did something with it. Injuries not withstanding Baker walking the base loaded (and not even being competitive doing it as there was maybe 1 or 2 pitches that were even close.) is absolutely the low point of the season for me by far. Not even Mckennas drop is even close. That said win Tonight and the entire narrative of the series changes. Go O's.

One of the key moments in the game came in the second inning.  After the Rangers got a lead off walk Jung had a 3-1 count.  An obvious fastball count and Adley sits on the outside corner and gives a target.  The pitch was actually executed pretty well but the ball was hit on the ground into RF.  The thing was, if we weren't shifted it probably would of been a double play and then we have 2 outs and nobody on.  

My question is who sets the infield defense and do they adjust based on who is pitching and counts?? If I have a guy throwing in the upper 90's why am a playing a hitter to pull but then calling an outside fastball?

I know its easy to look back and pick apart things.  Also if Rodrigues isn't falling behind we don't end up in that situation but it just seems crazy to me that they don't position the defense along with who is throwing and the pitch calls. 

30 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Hyde pretty much made every wrong  decision possible in this series

Decisions that he's been making the whole year but everyone insisted on giving him a pass because our record was so good. He may be good at keeping a good vibe in the clubhouse but he absolutely sucks at in-game decision making especially with pitchers.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

We lost because our number 2 and 3 starters pitched less then 2 innings each and gave up 5 er and 6er.  Nothing after that really mattered.  

Had the option of using McCann with Grayson vs the LHP, like was done all season, and starting Gibson tonight.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Had the option of using McCann with Grayson vs the LHP, like was done all season, and starting Gibson tonight.

I also would have started Gibson tonight, but why would using McCann have had any effect on the Grayson implosion?

He had a better ERA pitching to Adley this season than to McCann, so it’s not like McCann is some sort of Grayson whisperer…

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Hyde pretty much made every wrong  decision possible in this series

It drives me nuts when people rip managers/players after a tough loss. When two of your 3 starting pichers in a 3 game series get bounced before the third inning, it doesn't matter if Jesus Christ is your manager - you aren't winning the series.

That being said,  let me criticize Hyde. 

Look, I don't get why we put Hicks in for O'Hearn in the 8th. Chapman was HORRIFIC. We wanted him to stay in. There is no way Boche would do it so call his bluff. And if he keeps Chapman in, then I'll take my chances that Ohearn won't swing at the 4 straight balls. 

Why in the world did we do that? Why are we trying to get them to pull Chapman? We should have been BEGGING them to keep them in.

No way that would have happened - they would have put LeClerc in and Ohearn would have gotten to face him.

But once we got outmanaged, I wanted to see Kjerstad for the Grand Slam possibility. I wish he'd gotten an at bat.

8 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I also would have started Gibson tonight, but why would using McCann have had any effect on the Grayson implosion?

He had a better ERA pitching to Adley this season than to McCann, so it’s not like McCann is some sort of Grayson whisperer…

Playoff atmosphere is a different animal. Using a veteran catcher with the rookie pitcher should have been a consideration.

2 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

It drives me nuts when people rip managers/players after a tough loss. When two of your 3 starting pichers in a 3 game series get bounced before the third inning, it doesn't matter if Jesus Christ is your manager - you aren't winning the series.

That being said,  let me criticize Hyde. 

Look, I don't get why we put Hicks in for O'Hearn in the 8th. Chapman was HORRIFIC. We wanted him to stay in. There is no way Boche would do it so call his bluff. And if he keeps Chapman in, then I'll take my chances that Ohearn won't swing at the 4 straight balls. 

Why in the world did we do that? Why are we trying to get them to pull Chapman? We should have been BEGGING them to keep them in.

No way that would have happened - they would have put LeClerc in and Ohearn would have gotten to face him.

But once we got outmanaged, I wanted to see Kjerstad for the Grand Slam possibility. I wish he'd gotten an at bat.

O'Hearn has been crap lately. That's why. Hicks should have started the game as DH.

It won’t be worth posting in all of these. Not much went right for Baltimore. Not enough hitting, poor pitching, questionable decisions. 

But it was a wildly successful year. Just a shitty way to end it.  It does show areas where improvement is needed. Should be an interesting off season and there is much to look forward to. 

The bar has been raised and the talent is rich and deep. But winning isn’t inevitable and improvements will have to be made. 

• Upvote 1