Trade Central Station

Greg Pappas

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All due respect, that is not a wise move. Peavy is already on the decline -- his peripherals are down (even in a huge pitchers park) and he relies way way too much on a violent slider to not be considered a huge injury risk. If someone does trade for Peavy, they will overpay and be worse off for it in the long run.

Just my thoughts.

On the decline? Even Mussina had a dip in his stats at 27, and nobody considered him on the decline.

The violent slider is interesting though. So you think his motion will cause arm problems for him?

On the decline? Even Mussina had a dip in his stats at 27, and nobody considered him on the decline.

The violent slider is interesting though. So you think his motion will cause arm problems for him?

I think he throws too many sliders and that, yes, it's a huge red flag.

To be fair, on the decline for Peavy doesn't mean he's washed-up. But I think the odds are (even if i's 60/40) you end up paying for one of the best pitchers in baseball and you end up getting something well short of that.

I think he throws too many sliders and that, yes, it's a huge red flag.

To be fair, on the decline for Peavy doesn't mean he's washed-up. But I think the odds are (even if i's 60/40) you end up paying for one of the best pitchers in baseball and you end up getting something well short of that.

Interesting, here's a great article by The Hardball Times on Peavy's mechanics...

He does seem to have a violent delivery... :scratchchinhmm:

Interesting, here's a great article by The Hardball Times on Peavy's mechanics...

Look in particular at the recoil in his arm and picture what's going on in the elbow when he's snapping that slider off and snapping his arm back. Now picture him doing that 35-40 times an outing 35 times a season....ouch.

I'm going to have to discredit this article. I think Peavy has terrible arm action, something that is touted as good in this article. Compare him to guys like Maddux, Glavine, or even our own Brian Matusz, and you'll see a noticable difference. Also, compare his arm action to guys like Carpenter or Zumaya. There may not be a coincidence that the guys in the first group are similar in arm action and have had long careers (or in Matusz's case, being touted as a second coming). Also, the guys in the second group have had injury plagued careers.

Peavy also throws a slider frequently, and an intense supination of the elbow 40 times a game is not good for the long term health of his arm. Pass on Peavy, as he does not appear to be a good long term investment.

Another idea: Ramon to the Red Sox for J. Lugo, J. Bailey, C. Zink, and cash. Lugo was bad in 2007 and not so hot in 08 and makes over $9 million --each of the next 2 years. The Sox have Lowrie ready to go and would love to get rid of Lugo. They also need a catcher with Varitek cooked. Lugo may be cooked as well but i think there are glimmers of hope. Last year, his OBP was in line with his career averages. His slugging was down but that could very well be attributed to his injury. He also may have struggled to live up to his contract under the red sox nation microscope. We get a guy who can play 2nd or short. We get an interesting first basemen in Bailey who's no spring chicken but could be a nice cheap option until Snyder is ready and we get to enjoy a knuckleballer in Zink who has exhibited strong success in the minors. In short, it seems none of these players fit into the Red Sox plans so they'd probably give them up to be rid of Lugo and to get a catcher for one year. None of the guys we'd get are likely to be long term fixes but they provide short term value and, if they produce, could be swapped for prospects down the road.

As for Holiday and Peavy, they're obviously good players but i don't think we should part with the type and amount of young talent it would take to get them. thoughts?

Baltimore trades Nolan Reimold

Tampa Bay trades Reid Brignac

OR

Baltimore trades Luke Scott

Chicago trades Felix Pie and Rich Hill

Thoughts!?

I don't think there's any way TB would do that trade. Brignac has the chance to be that rare power hitting middle infielder. If they decide to trade him, they'd get a stud or studs in return and probably someone more major league ready than Reimold. I like Reimold but i don't think many people think he will turn into a star and there are plenty who think Brignac just might.

I really like the idea of going for Hill who's value is way down and probably needs a change of scenery. I don't really see Pie as a good fit for us since we have Jones and I'm not sure Pie profiles as a corner outfield bat. What if we substitute Cedeno for Pie. Perhaps we need to include another player to make that happen.

Baltimore trades Nolan Reimold

Tampa Bay trades Reid Brignac

OR

Baltimore trades Luke Scott

Chicago trades Felix Pie and Rich Hill

Thoughts!?

I love both trades! Lets do it. :clap3: We could get a prospect shortstop without trading a minor league pitcher. The Scott deal gives us a major league ready center fielder and a starting pitcher to add to our struggling pitching rotation.

My thanks to everyone that's contributed thus far. :)

I think the Rays MIGHT do the Brignac deal, simply because they already have two capable shortstops in Barlett and Zobrist. Also, they owe us for Bradford. :D

As for the Cubs deal, perhaps Pie is a bit too much. Would Hill and Colvin for Scott be fair?

Another idea: Ramon to the Red Sox for J. Lugo, J. Bailey, C. Zink, and cash. Lugo was bad in 2007 and not so hot in 08 and makes over $9 million --each of the next 2 years. The Sox have Lowrie ready to go and would love to get rid of Lugo. They also need a catcher with Varitek cooked. Lugo may be cooked as well but i think there are glimmers of hope. Last year, his OBP was in line with his career averages. His slugging was down but that could very well be attributed to his injury. He also may have struggled to live up to his contract under the red sox nation microscope. We get a guy who can play 2nd or short. We get an interesting first basemen in Bailey who's no spring chicken but could be a nice cheap option until Snyder is ready and we get to enjoy a knuckleballer in Zink who has exhibited strong success in the minors. In short, it seems none of these players fit into the Red Sox plans so they'd probably give them up to be rid of Lugo and to get a catcher for one year. None of the guys we'd get are likely to be long term fixes but they provide short term value and, if they produce, could be swapped for prospects down the road.

As for Holiday and Peavy, they're obviously good players but i don't think we should part with the type and amount of young talent it would take to get them. thoughts?

I think the Red Sox have played against Ramon enough times to know how much of a clown he is. I don't think Hernandez has any trade value - we are just about the worst team in baseball and he is one of the biggest weakness' of the team.

Archived