Three 27 year old add some balance to the team

wildcard

27 is their baseball age.

DJ Stewart may be playing as much under control as I have seen him play.   Walks and hits that are good for his OBP.  He is seem more under control in the field.

Urias had a good day yesterday.  It would be good if he could grab onto the 2B job and give the O's in consistent infield of Franco, Galvis, Urias and Mancini.

Lakins came up throwing 96 mph fastballs.  Where did that come from?   Pitched a good inning and was sent back.  But it has to make Armstrong wonder how long he has to get himself straighten out.

I really liked Stewart’s approach on his run scoring single with two outs in the 7th in game 1.   Went with the pitch and took advantage of the shift.    I agree he looks pretty dialed in at the moment - but those things come and go, so I’m not drawing any grand conclusions about what kind of season he’ll have.    

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I really liked Stewart’s approach on his run scoring single with two outs in the 7th in game 1.   Went with the pitch and took advantage of the shift.    I agree he looks pretty dialed in at the moment - but those things come and go, so I’m not drawing any grand conclusions about what kind of season he’ll have.    

Besides Mullins and Franco (oddly enough) Stewart seems to be the only guy on the team willing to take pitches and not expand the zone. Many of the other hitters are taking the first pitch and then immediately going after the next offerings and getting themselves out. I liked that Hyde moved Stewart up in the order yesterday. Have no idea what DJ will do over the course of the season but he probably has the most refined approach at the plate in the lineup currently. 

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Besides Mullins and Franco (oddly enough) Stewart seems to be the only guy on the team willing to take pitches and not expand the zone. Many of the other hitters are taking the first pitch and then immediately going after the next offerings and getting themselves out. I liked that Hyde moved Stewart up in the order yesterday. Have no idea what DJ will do over the course of the season but he probably has the most refined approach at the plate in the lineup currently. 

Franco's walk rate (12.8% this year versus a career was rate of 6.8%) will likely go down as the season progresses, but it's good that he's been more selective to start the year. And who knows maybe his new found tolerance to take more pitches will stick.  

9 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I think a lot of that has to do with the rest of the team pressing a bit right now. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Tried to tell y'all about Lakins. He's good!

For some reason, when I read this I thought about the scene in Coming to America at the Black Awareness Rally. Randy Watson and Sexual Chocolate are singing and one of the barbers (Not Eddie Murphy nor Arsenio Hall) says "That boy good". One of the others says "Yeah, good and terrible"

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LTO's said:

Stewart may have the best plate discipline of any hitter we’ve had since Markakis.    His contact skills when he swings are not as good as Nick’s however.   

Sisco is similar.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Stewart may have the best plate discipline of any hitter we’ve had since Markakis.    His contact skills when he swings are not as good as Nick’s however.   

Sisco is similar.

Sisco took a very Davis-esque strike 3 down the middle yesterday. I just wish he was.... better. Lol. I really think he's a guy that has to play every day, but he hasn't shown enough to warrant that. The age old paradox. 

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sisco took a very Davis-esque strike 3 down the middle yesterday. I just wish he was.... better. Lol. I really think he's a guy that has to play every day, but he hasn't shown enough to warrant that. The age old paradox. 

I wish they'd just try to trade Severino for cash or a ptbnl and let Sisco and Wynns or Cumberland split the duties. Pedro seems like he has a fun personality and likes playing the game but he's just been brutal behind the dish recently. It's tough to watch. 

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Stewart has looked real good going back to last season. It might make sense to bat him 2nd. Stewart is LH and Mullins is on base a lot this season. Plus Stewart is patient and having good ABs. We could manufacture some more runs with that 1-2 combo.