Grayson Rodriguez 2021

LTO's

Probably done at 5 IP, 8 K/2 BB

Was following 5th inning on gameday: walk, failed sac bunt, ground out, walk, passed ball set up 2nd and 3rd 2-out for Elehuris Montero batting 3rd, third time through the order.   Grayson struck him out to work out of his own jam, but long 5th got him up to 71 pitches.

The 5th inning walks hold AA debut K-BB to a mere ~29%

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He sat 97-99 and hit 100+ six times. mlbpipeline.com only has 4 pitching prospects ahead of him. Gore, Pearson, Sanchez and Manning. All of which are in AAA or the MLB now. 

I don’t know how many any IP these guys get to this year, but prospects performing like Rodriguez and Hall, don’t stay in the minors too long. 

Watched on milb.tv last night. That was fun! He seemed totally in control, even when there were guys on base. 

Something else that also stood out to me was how mobile and smooth Adley looked behind the plate! He flubbed a throw on a CS attempt, but his presence behind the dish was a night and day difference to what I'm used to watching at the MLB level.

G-Rod is putting himself in the elite prospect class with Hunter Greene I think. Like top 10 in all of baseball. I hate how excited I am about him because…well…you know. But boy, the ceiling on this kid seems limitless. 

At some point you can’t help but think you’re wasting mileage on his arm by pitting him against minor league hitters. Between Rodriguez, Hall, T. Wells, Baumann, Bradish, we’ve got some serious velocity.....and probably some Tommy Johns in our future. I’m sensitive to service time on position players, but for pitchers if they’re ready you just have to go for it. Baumann is already on the 40, and Rodriguez/Hall are really close if not ready. Unless there’s regression, we should see a number of these guys debut this year. Including Rodriguez. The casualty in that is that within the group of Kremer, Zimmerman, Akin, Lowther, T. Wells, Smith, we almost seem likely to lose someone in a number crunch who catches on with another team and becomes a solid starter. I could think of worse problems to have though. 

As stated above I was in Hartford watching this game seated about 10 rows back from home plate just toward first base.

The first thing I noticed was how effortless his speed was.  Like crazy easy 99 with few over 100 on tge stadium gun.  

GR gave up hard contact early, the first time through the lineup and I was a little surprised, the Hartford team has two top 30 position prospects in the rockies system, its not a super strong line up.  I felt like he was trying to get through the lineup once mostly on fastballs. 

When he really started to unleash his slider you could tell.  There were a lot of Hartford hitters standing with bewildered faces after strike three or with bad swings at wipeout sliders.  Most of the sliders started in the middle of the plate and ended up in the left batters box.

There was also not a lot of solid contact after that point.  While he labored a little in the 5th it never felt like the game was getting away from him.

If I compared this outing to having seen Gerrit Cole in AA in New Britain I would say that Grayson feels like he is further along at the same point in his career.  Even without having the greatest command he really controlled the game.

Some of that may have been Adley.  I think Adley was the first catcher I have ever seen who at the end of the inning ran half way out to the mound to talk to the pitcher on the way in to the dugout.  He didn't meet him at the baseline, he met him in the middle of the infield.

• Upvote 3

https://www.mlb.com/news/grayson-rodriguez-double-a-bowie-debut?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

The game story on MiLB had the per-pitch metric that his whiff rate was Minor League best, and he was a tick above his personal standard there in the AA debut.   I believe the league has those per-pitch tidbits to dole out here and there.

Hartford seems not that great, and so does Binghamton next week, when he maybe lines up for the Tuesday-Sunday 2-start week.   I suppose for PR they could nurse him to back home in Bowie the following week against Akron, one of the league's other best teams.    I almost root for that - I basically already feel like the Baysox in full '84 Tigers mode playing the dregs of Double-A Northeast have little to prove the next 10 games.

At High-A, he was the best pitcher in the league by far over a 5-start sample.   I think someone with his pedigree, if the performances continue to badly outclass the competition, it gets awkward holding him at any level more than 6-8 starts.    There's some art of course we will dissect around is his season 20 or 25 starts (health provided of course).

1 hour ago, joelala said:

G-Rod is putting himself in the elite prospect class with Hunter Greene I think. Like top 10 in all of baseball. I hate how excited I am about him because…well…you know. But boy, the ceiling on this kid seems limitless. 

Just curious, as I don't know too much about non-Orioles prospects, but what has separated him / separates him from people who are ranked similarly to him in the MLB top 100, like Matt Manning, Max Meyer, Daniel Lynch, Asa Lacey, Logan Gilbert, Emerson Hancock, and Matthew Liberatore?