Grayson Rodriguez 2021

LTO's

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Another dozen or so starts like that and we can start discussing if he's earned a promotion.

Ah, the snark just never gets old.   But seriously, it will be interesting to see how long he stays at Aberdeen.   

3 hours ago, orioles22 said:

He would have moved up a level every few starts in 2019 if some fans were making the decisions. I'd like to see at least 10 starts in A ball.

But why?  I think he should get promoted around June 1. which should mean about 2 more starts.  That would give him 6 starts.  10 starts puts him in Bowie close to July.

We agree that waiting an extra 3 or so weeks isn’t going to hurt him but will it help him either?  I would like to see him start to get challenged more.

Again, while I know the camp last year wasn’t the same as playing games, it was still work and he was facing older/more mature competition, so it does matter somewhat.

I guess I just don’t see what he will learn from 10 starts compared to 6 starts.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

But why?  I think he should get promoted around June 1? Which should mean about 2 more starts.  That would give him 6 starts.  10 starts puts him in Bowie close to July.

We agree that waiting an extra 3 or so weeks isn’t going to hurt him but will it help him either?  I would like to see him start to get challenged more.

Again, while I know the camp last year wasn’t the same as playing games, it was still work and he was facing older/more mature competition, so it does matter somewhat.

I guess I just don’t see what he will learn from 10 starts compared to 6 starts.

I’m with you on Grayson.   I think they will give Baumann 1-2 starts in Bowie before moving him to Norfolk, which is where he would have started the season if he’d been healthy.   When that slot opens up, I’d expect Grayson to fill it, assuming he continues to dominate in the interim.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Elias has to be developing a plan to have Rodriguez, Hall, Baumann and Bradish on the ML team, and that plan shouldn't be terribly long. If it's well past service time next year for any of them for any reason other than injury/performance, I'll be angry. I love the rebuild, but the cream is rising. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I think Elias has to be developing a plan to have Rodriguez, Hall, Baumann and Bradish on the ML team, and that plan shouldn't be terribly long. If it's well past service time next year for any of them for any reason other than injury/performance, I'll be angry. I love the rebuild, but the cream is rising. 

Well, I think we need to slow our collective rolls on Bradish.  And we need to see Baumann stay healthy and be good for a larger sample size.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

But why?  I think he should get promoted around June 1. which should mean about 2 more starts.  That would give him 6 starts.  10 starts puts him in Bowie close to July.

Just an opinion. I was thinking 10  starts at Aberdeen and 10 or so at Bowie.

You could use the 6 and 10 argument and say what's the difference between 6 and 4 and move him up now. He may do fine, but it seems the Orioles are being fairly cautious in moving pitchers up. They are killing me with the pitch limits. I hate seeing someone taken out after 4 2/3 innings and lose a potential win with less than 70 pitches.

8 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

You could use the 6 and 10 argument and say what's the difference between 6 and 4 and move him up now. He may do fine, but it seems the Orioles are being fairly cautious in moving pitchers up. They are killing me with the pitch limits. I hate seeing someone taken out after 4 2/3 innings and lose a potential win with less than 70 pitches.

I think he should be moved up now.  I think he easily could have skipped Aberdeen and started in Bowie to begin with.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I think we need to slow our collective rolls on Bradish.  And we need to see Baumann stay healthy and be good for a larger sample size.

I'll slow my roll on the kid that they're hyping like they are when he fails. We're about to see him in AAA. If he can't be ready 12 months from now than the hype isn't real.

Baumann would have been AAA last year if it happened. My only concern with him is health. Again, if 12 months isn't in the cards than he's not the guy we think he is.

54 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

If there’s one thing I don’t care about, it’s pitcher wins in the minors.   They matter even less there than in the majors.    

Now, I will be interested to see how long the O’s are going to stick with what looks like a 75-pitch limit, for other reasons.    It’s a tricky year due to last year’s inactivity and the desire to limit workload this season, but to really assess a starting pitcher candidate you do need to know how they do on pitches 75-100.    I’m thinking they take the kid gloves off at some point, but gradually.  

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If there’s one thing I don’t care about, it’s pitcher wins in the minors.   They matter even less there than in the majors.    

Now, I will be interested to see how long the O’s are going to stick with what looks like a 75-pitch limit, for other reasons.    It’s a tricky year due to last year’s inactivity and the desire to limit workload this season, but to really assess a starting pitcher candidate you do need to know how they do on pitches 75-100.    I’m thinking they take the kid gloves off at some point, but gradually.  

This. I really like what we are seeing from Bradish, Hall, Rodriguez, and Brnovich, but we haven't seen that much of them. We've seen guys get to the big leagues and dominated for 3-4 innings, but not be able to handle much more. I want to see them at least get halfway through the third time through the order consistently--with success--before getting to the Majors. I'd like to see them get up to 85-90 pitches with some consistency. That doesn't necessarily need to be now, but hopeful we see that in August.