How far are the O's away from being a winning team?

wildcard

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Grenier is nothing.

Gunnar could be up next year if he develops as some think he will.

Hall has second base potential.

I think Hall gets a cup of coffee late season if he’s up at all. Jones or Vavra seem far more likely to get a chance mid season this year. At least in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Was Cadyn Grenier a wasted pick or too soon to tell? 
Gunner is only 20, and not close. 
No one says much about Adam Hall but he’s a prospect with a possible 2021 arrival.

I have seen enough of Urias and would be happy to replace him with anybody. Ruiz gets a longer leash because his defense at  2B isn’t bad.

The catchers are dreadful and both need to be replaced yesterday.

We can hit .500 this year but only if we promote prospects wisely and use them properly. Sceroler coming in against the Yankees with bases loaded and no outs is NOT using them wisely. Insisting that Scott is your high-leverage guy even though he fails too much is NOT wise use.

So I’m thinking no.

But maybe.

Adam Hall from Delmarva to the majors in 2021 sounds like a fantasy to me. 

This year be about seeing where all the chairs on the deck go.  We have a ton of depth at our main positions of need in the middle infield.  How this chairs get arranged to start will be very interesting.  There is about 10-12 guys that will have to get at bats in the minors between 2nd, SS, 3rd.  Who goes where to start will give us a bit of idea how the organization views the guys but the results from them will determine who begins to look like a chair we use at the major league level.  I don’t think there is much difference in them right now as a group except little more experience for some others. The talent seems to be about equal though some have more upside in certain areas whether it defense speed or bat. 

56 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Adam Hall from Delmarva to the majors in 2021 sounds like a fantasy to me. 

Agreed.  If he finishes this year at AA and does well enough that he’s projected for AAA to start 2022, I’d be delighted.   

From MLB.

well I tried to paste the section of Halls prospect writeup that suggested he was a good bet to start at Bowie this season, but apparently I am unable to paste the passage in question.

But if he starts in Bowie, it’s not unreasonable that he could make it to the big leagues sometime this summer if he does well.

• Hall has improved steadily since the Orioles, enamored with his play for the Canadian junior national team, landed him with an above-slot $1.3 million bonus in the second round of the 2017 Draft. An oblique injury limited Hall to just two games that summer, and he struggled initially in the New York-Penn League before breaking out down the stretch in 2018. Healthy again, Hall jumped a level and was one of the more productive hitters in the Class A South Atlantic League in 2019, hitting .298/.385/.395 with five homers and 33 stolen bases. He attended O’s instructional camp in 2020 and seems to be a fair bet to be

Hall has improved steadily since the Orioles, enamored with his play for the Canadian junior national team, landed him with an above-slot $1.3 million bonus in the second round of the 2017 Draft. An oblique injury limited Hall to just two games that summer, and he struggled initially in the New York-Penn League before breaking out down the stretch in 2018. Healthy again, Hall jumped a level and was one of the more productive hitters in the Class A South Atlantic League in 2019, hitting .298/.385/.395 with five homers and 33 stolen bases. He attended O’s instructional camp in 2020 and seems to be a fair bet to begin 2021 at Double-A. 

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

From MLB.

well I tried to paste the section of Halls prospect writeup that suggested he was a good bet to start at Bowie this season, but apparently I am unable to paste the passage in question.

But if he starts in Bowie, it’s not unreasonable that he could make it to the big leagues sometime this summer if he does well.A. 

Seems like a big stretch to me.   It’s possible Hall will start in AA.   Frankly it will surprise me a little if he does, and it will surprise me a lot if he does so well that the O’s would consider jumping him to the majors this year.    This is guy who hasn’t played hi A, so if he jumps to AA I expect him to struggle a bit.    But we’ll see.  

7 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Technically, the Orioles are 3 games away from being a winning team ...... they need to sweep this 4-game series with the Yankees in order to be sitting at 13-12 overall for the season.

o

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Montgomery is a big obstacle to that happening.

o

So that would make tonight's game with Kluber on the mound a must-win for the Orioles ...... my little quirks coming to fruition is much more important than all of this nonsense about rebuilding the team, and giving themselves the best chance at being a perennial contender.

o

This is a tough question to answer. As pointed out in the opening posts, only a few small tweaks to the team could make it a possible .500 club, but there will be some moves made this year to take significant steps backward. I expect Matt Harvey to either falter or be traded, taking away one of the starters that is actually pitching well. I could see a number of other deals including Valdez, Fry, Mancini, Santander, etc. 

To me, it depends on how much Elias trades away before the season is over to whether or not 2022 could be the year we take the step forward and at least flirt with .500 all year. The progression of Adley, Hall and Grayson are also crucial. 

If we trade Harvey and maybe a bullpen arm and little else, I think we could be a .500 club in 2022 provided we see Adley behind the plate for the vast majority of the season and at least one of Hall or Rodriguez becomes a solid mid-to-top of the rotation arm out of the gate. And, if Jones--or someone else--can prove to be at least a solid option at 2B. That's still a lot of asks.  

We are what we are right now. Guys just need to produce. 3/5ths of the rotation is getting lit up. 6/9ths of the lineup aren’t hitting. The bullpen is solid. The 26 man roster really helps with that. 

What’s going to be frustrating with this group of guys we have now is that Hays, Santander, and Hunter Harvey, are always going to be hurt. 

We do not have a glut of OFs. We need to hit on all 5 of our OF prospects(Mullins, Hays, Santander, Stewart, and Diaz). McKenna looks to be a 5th OF type. Mountcastle is a DH. 

On 4/27/2021 at 6:59 PM, Philip said:

Lots of prayer and fasting?

Also, Elon Musk buys the team and injects 10 billion dollars.  Although given Musk's track record what'll happen is that he'll promise to not only win the '22 Series, but also a new Series he invented against the Japanese champions.  That won't happen, it'll look like the team is on the verge of bankruptcy and ruin, but in 2024 the team will be awesome in ways both unexpected and weird.  Ryan Mountcastle will hit .512 but with no homers and no walks.