2021 Bowie Roster News

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Who's place will Gunnar take when it's time for him to move up?  I don't know much about Dorian and Yahn, I assume they are organizational guys.

Gunnar will go to Aberdeen (A+) before he heads to AA Bowie. 

39 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Is Dorrian thread worthy?  He has 4 home runs in 7 games.

I was about to start a thread about Dorrian--his slash numbers (.417/.533/1.083) are the best in our system now, and his K/BB is only 7/5.  

He put up some good numbers in the Pirates system before he was the PTBNL in the Yefry Ramirez trade.  He didn't do much at Frederick in 2019.  

Any reports on his fielding?  Sure would be great if Dorrian and Vavra could force themselves into the O's plans at 3B and 2B by the end of the season.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

Is Dorrian thread worthy?  He has 4 home runs in 7 games.

Short sample size and he's come out of nowhere, so clearly grain of salt him. But yeah.....he's on fire. He has a simple/compact swing and makes solid contact with good lift. His HR tonight was an easy swing. Drove another opposite field as well (probably should have been caught). Don't know enough about his defense but he made two very nice barehanded plays on attempted bunts. 

I'm curious to see more of Nick Vespi. LH reliever doesn't throw particularly hard, but slider/curve produces a lot of empty swings. Pitches from extreme edge of rubber and looks like hitters have a hard time picking up the ball.....possibly helps his FB look a little more lively than it is. If he could add little more zip he'd be pretty interesting. Putting up big strikeout numbers so far. Definitely can see why the converted him to a reliever. 

I also like Vavra more every time I watch him play. Just a highly skilled guy who seems to love driving inside pitches down the line. Showed nice power on a hanging curve HR tonight. He's fun to watch. 

• Upvote 3

Let Bowie be the land of opportunity for guys like Vavra and Dorrian.  If they keep it up for another month, bring them up to Baltimore. This isn't like other years.  These guys could have dramatically improved last year - but we just don't have any stats to show it.  

Yeah, I was about to make some comments about Dorrian as well.  Probably just a hot streak to start the season but 3B is certainly a position of need at the MLB level so the opportunity is there for him.

Plus, Scrubs is probably my favorite TV show of all time, so having a Dorrian on the team would just be an added bonus.

• Upvote 1

Old article on Dorrian: https://www.piratesprospects.com/2019/02/strong-hitting-and-added-versatility-make-pat-dorrian-a-player-to-watch-in-2019.html

Interesting nugget about him being Rule V eligible because he signed and then back out with Atlanta. Sounds like a good athlete and it says (for what it’s worth) that he has a strong arm. 

12 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Short sample size and he's come out of nowhere, so clearly grain of salt him. But yeah.....he's on fire. He has a simple/compact swing and makes solid contact with good lift. His HR tonight was an easy swing. Drove another opposite field as well (probably should have been caught). Don't know enough about his defense but he made two very nice barehanded plays on attempted bunts. 

I'm curious to see more of Nick Vespi. LH reliever doesn't throw particularly hard, but slider/curve produces a lot of empty swings. Pitches from extreme edge of rubber and looks like hitters have a hard time picking up the ball.....possibly helps his FB look a little more lively than it is. If he could add little more zip he'd be pretty interesting. Putting up big strikeout numbers so far. Definitely can see why the converted him to a reliever. 

I also like Vavra more every time I watch him play. Just a highly skilled guy who seems to love driving inside pitches down the line. Showed nice power on a hanging curve HR tonight. He's fun to watch. 

From what I've seen this year he's got plenty of arm, but sketchy hands at times. He doesn't look real smooth over there, but he's certainly looked good at the plate. He could be just on a hot streak to start the year but the power surge is interesting especially after a missed season. At 24-years old (soon to be 25) he's not that old overall so if he can continue to put up numbers, he'll start to become interesting. 

Vespi was a guy Luke Siler really liked back in 2019 and from what I heard, his velocity has ticked up a bit this year. His curveball has really tightened up a bit and has become a real swing and miss pitch. When you are King batters at a 18.5/9 rate the organization will start paying attention. I agree that the move to the pen was the best thing for him and he could be a real mover this year after getting the jump over A+ to AA this spring already.

Vavra just really knows himself at the plate. He doesn't overswing, will go the other way, and is a breath of fresh air in a game where 5-foot-8 guys swing from their heels in many places. Defensively, he's not going to be a gold glover and he looks a little stiff at times, but I don't think he will kill a team there either. Right now, he's the organization's best 2B prospect in my mind. 

• Upvote 2

I was kind of bummed to see Fenter listed on MiLB as the probable leading off the series against Heliot's team tonight.

Bradish pitched as the Baysox #2 starter behind Hall on Wednesday, and I thought two turns in Richmond could be a spotlight for him to show us he's as good as Matt Blood says.

Pretty much every SP prospect (or even young big leaguer) - it'll be interesting to see which side of 20 GS/100 IP they end up at.   I suppose in Bradish's case they could be rationing for Baltimore September innings.

6 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

@Tony-OH This seems more like an “organization player” move instead of an actual promotion.

Yep. It's pretty clear that he's being used as an org guy and not as a priority play. It will be interesting to see how he hits AA pitching. He may actually hit better because the pitchers are around the plate more.  Either way, unless he starts showing up on the boxscore every game, I'm going to assume he's now an org guy.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Ferguson has been released.   Up or out, I guess.  

Yeah, he'd been around for awhile. Seems like they used him more as an org guy to fill a position of need in AA vs there was some break through. Once he struggled badly it was pretty clear it wasn't going to last long.

Ferguson was Buck's son's draft pick. He was very raw but had some tools, just ran out of time.

• Upvote 1